Grandeur

The evening of the party came. Claire was up in arms against Emeline who was fighting every step of the process, from choosing a gown to styling her hair. Claire huffed heavily as she finished lacing up the dark green satin number, cinching the young mistress' waist into a perfect hourglass. She wiped sweat from her brow and silently thanked whatever god there may be that she was still only in her slip. The room was warm between the glowing fire and the labor of dressing. Emeline stood stiffly, glaring at the full length mirror in front of her. She twisted a bit to the right and then to the left and sighed in resignation.

"Why do they make it so hard to breathe in these things?" She turned to sit at her vanity, hating the fake image reflected back at her. In the mirror she saw a lady. A painted face, her dark brown eyes framed by thick liner and sparkling with shadow, and her lips a deep, seductive red. Her blonde hair was swept up into a flourish of curls and waves, pinned loosely to her scalp. She had never more longed for the comfort of her pencil skirts and loose fitting blouses. The tight bodice showed far to much skin for her liking. She blushed deeply at the low neckline that accentuated her cleavage and left nearly nothing to the imagination.

Claire was similarily done up, wearing a black number with red trim and having done her bright red hair up. Emeline envied the sparkle of excitement in her eyes. She envied the confidence with which she sashayed across the room towards her.

"Will you do me up?" She asked sheepishly. Emeline smiled and stood to tie the girl's laces. There was no telling why this creature was still about, but Emeline was grateful for the company and guidance. It seemed strange to her, though. Claire seemed so knowledgeable about these things. Somewhere, Emeline had read that the girl had been on the property assisting the family for near seventy years. There must have been a problem in the records, for this child was no more then seventeen to nineteen at most.

For the time being, Emeline wiped it from her mind as they exited the room and prepared themselves to attend the ball.