What Lies Within

Claire shoved the man through the kitchen towards the door where he had come in. She was sick of the game and wanted her peace and quiet back. Just as they were crossing the threshold, however, he jammed his hands against the door frame.

"Shall we really part ways like this, dear sister?" His voice was pleading, but his eyes were still cold and calculating. Claire grit her teeth.

"You were the one who decided to leave, Philip," Claire reminded him, her voice firm, desperately trying to hide the years of hurt she'd suffered from his neglect. "We were offered sanctuary in the time of trial and you turned your back and ran. You were to proud to receive his help. You do not have any right now, to come back and demand that welcome from his grandchild. Leave. Never return."

His face went dark, a clash of lightening illuminating the hate in his face. "This house is ours, you know. I will reclaim it. At any cost. You will see, sweet sister."

As darkness flooded the door way again, he drowned in it, fading into the night. Claire felt the cold of the coming storm, but she knew there was something more to it. She shut the door and for the first time in nearly a century, she tightly bolted it.

The stairs creaked and Claire hummed to herself as she carried a tray of bread, cheese and cold cuts up to the study. She would not tell Mistress of what her brother had said. She would protect her and the estate. She had to. She had tried to do the same for the Master, but he had still been taken. She would not make the same mistake again.

She still remembered that night. She remembered the sound of galloping hooves as his horse charged down the hill. She still felt her ribs and collar bone crack as she stood right in the beast's path to stop it's charge. She saw the pale white skin of Master and heard his raspy breathing.

He'd been known to ride the perimeter of his property on the night of a full moon. He claimed to love the way the moon illuminated everything so much more softly than the sun. Tonight, that ride had been fatal. His last words to Claire had been a warning, and she'd known. War was upon them.