Family

Emeline was halfway through the first tome when she heard a commotion coming from down the hall. One voice she recognized as Claire and she rolled her eyes, slamming her hands down on the antique desk as she rose. Poking her head out through the heavy door, she saw two figures down the hall.

"You know you are not welcome here," Claire was insisting, her voice very near a shriek. She had a hold of the sleeve of the unknown person. Emeline assumed by the stature that it was a man. She pulled the door open more and stepped out into the hall, her hands neatly folded over her travel-crumpled blouse and grubby jeans. She cleared her throat and as if on cue, both turned to look at her.

"Who is our guest, Claire?" She queried, keeping her voice cool. She looked from one to the other. She was taken aback by the similarities between the two. The shock of red hair, the cold eyes, the pale skin. She was thrown for only a moment, however, and quickly composed herself, fixing her gaze on Claire.

"No one important, Miss," Claire answered, giving one more solid tug at the man she was so desperate to have gone. The man shook both girls when he suddenly burst out in a chilling laugh. His voice echoed with a tinny emptiness that sent a chill up Emeline's spine.

He broke free from Claire grasp as if it was nothing. Approaching Emeline, he bowed low, his period clothing making him look like a character stepping right from a novel. Emeline stood taller, staring down her nose at him.

"I'd heard the new Mistress had safely made her way home. I thought it only right that I come to pay my regards and my condolences for the passing of the former Master." Claire scoffed and Emeline raised her brow at the girl's reaction.

"Thank you for your concern, but at this time we have no need of it. Allow my companion to offer you a hot meal in the kitchen and the you should be on your way."

That bone chilling laugh echoed down the hall again. "As the young Mistress wishes." With a flourish of his cape, he shoved past Claire and down the stairs.

"Get him out of here," Emeline instructed before returning to the study, slamming the door behind her.