The Encounter

Emeline fluttered her little fan nervously, feeling a little silly behind her gold mask. Her flowing blonde curls bounced with the ride, the horse drawn carriage propelling them ever nearer her worst nightmare. She had never done well at social events, but she trusted Claire. She wasn't sure why, given she'd only met the girl about two months prior, but there was something calming in the precision with which Claire handled the affairs of the estate.

Claire was busy watching the countryside roll by, her voice a high pitched, careening wheel of excitement and anticipation, filling Emeline in on the proper greetings and gestures to show each family at the gathering. Her voice somehow soothed Emeline, just a bit, so she was able to relax and breathe, despite the tight fit of her corset. For the umpteenth time during the drive alone, she attempted to adjust it.

"We're almost there." Claire was beside herself in her glee and barely had the carriage stopped then she was out the door, pulling Emeline behind her. The latter tripped over her skirt, barely catching herself before she landed in an oh-so-convenient puddle. She took a moment to compose herself before attempting to reel in Claire who, despite all her etiquette coaching was rushing up the stairs of the grand estate. With a glare from her mistress, however, she blushed timidly and stood a bit straighter as she opened the door for her. Emeline was greeted at the door by a gentleman who took the girls' wraps and directed them to a grand entry hall where people were mingling and the hushed chatter of light conversation made Emeline feel dizzy with nervousness once more.

"I will locate our host so we can make a proper greeting," Claire whispered into her ear before vanishing into the sea of faces. Emeline gulped, and swooned once more, this time losing herself in a stupid grin as the floor raced up to meet her. Someone stopped her at the last minute. There was a flurry of excited babble, but she heard none of it. She was lifted off her feet and felt the swaying as someone carried her to a darker side room. She closed her eyes as a candle was lit and drifted off for a moment of blissful solitude.