Slow Days

The past month gigs have been rough for us. It was either something going own in our regular lives or either we took too many beatings. We took two weeks off from hunting because we were physically and emotionally tired. Miley lied, she made it seem easy living a double life.

We were low on food so I was currently grocery shopping, I was in the frozen food aisle when I felt a breeze pass me. It could have been from the open freezer door but the lady was 10 feet away from me.

"What do you want?" I grumbled as I pushed my cart forward.

Derek fell into step next to me "Nothing, bored." He shrugged "Thought I'll check in on my favorite human." He teased.

I scoffed at that "Don't you have demon things to do?" I side eyed him as we went to the next aisle.

He put his hands in his pockets "Demon things? What type of demon things do I have to do?" He asked as he raised an eyebrow.

I shrugged as we stopped in front of the noodles "I don't know, since you claim to not be an incubus and cross road demons can't leave their posts" I glanced him over "You have to be a free lance demon." I guessed.

He smirked deviously "Free lance demon, you make it sound like a traveling job." He teased as he picked up some a box of noodles "You would be surprised on what this guy sold for him to get rich off of noodles." He whistled lowly.

"What did he sell?" I asked curiously as I took them from him. "His soul?" I asked sarcastically.

He looked down and smirked "Not only his, he sold his daughter and son souls." He told.

I grimaced "That's sick." I said in disgust as I put the noodles back. Guess we're never buying those again.

Derek looked at me "So you say." He shrugged "I've heard and dealt with worse."

My eyes widen "What can be worse than selling your kids souls?" I asked moving forward. "The demon that made that deal is twisted." I scrunch my face up.

He followed me "Promising your first born daughter for freedom." He frowned as he mumbled something else "Well we are demons, we're more than twisted creatures, Ciara." He stated nonchalantly.

I raised an eyebrow as we stopped "Freedom?" I asked as I turned to him.

Who would sell their first born daughter for freedom?

He saw my confused look "As in slavery, Ciara." He explained "America's worse tragedy."

I froze. Slaves sold their first borns for freedom?

I glared at him "That's the most disgusting thing I've heard." I sneered as I began my rant. He watched me intently as I started to pace, I stopped once a question popped into my mind.

I slowly turned to him "Did you give out these deals?" I demanded him as I stalked toward him "Did you trade the slaves freedom for their first borns?" I spat out.

His lips twitched up and his eyes gleamed "That and their souls." He answered with his arms fold.

I snapped and punched him in his stomach, he held his stomach as he bend over.

"What the fuck Derek?!" I roared as I went to kick him.

He recovered quickly and caught my leg, he tighten his grip as he stood "It was my job at the time, Ciara." He retorted "That was a one time deal. I usually bargained with their souls-" I didn't want to hear it, I jumped and kicked him with my other foot.

He caught it and threw me to the floor, I slid across the floor but quickly jumped up and charged at him.

"They don't deserve to be in Hell." I sneered as he dodge my attack "They've been through hell enough, they were stripped from their homelands and forced to build up a country that they wouldn't have rights in." The more I talked the more angry I got and the more my attacks sped up "They probably awaited death knowing that they would be at peace in Heaven and you took that from them. You sent them from one Hell to another, just to be in more suffering than they already were." He caught my fist and caged me into the shelves "And even for a demon that is low-" I stopped my rant and noticed that people were looking at us in concern, I glared at each one of them.