Chapter 1

Benjamin

There was something about Sarah. From the way she laughed when someone was joking around, to the way she blushed when someone mentioned her boyfriend. The boyfriend that wasn't me. Crap. 

I was barely familiar with the tall guy with the black hair and the muscular arms that wrapped themselves around the girl who should be mine. Joe, or Jack, or Jeff, or something. Layla, being my cousin and Sarah's best friend, would often relay information from her to me. 

Apparently they went on all these weird dates that gave him reason to take off his shirt. Sarah and Layla seemed to idolize him. What was so great about a guy who was as deep as a kiddie pool?

I stood there, staring at her. The band hall was full of attractive girls, but she was the most beautiful girl in the world. Derek tapped me on the back and threw my car keys over my shoulder. 

"Subtle," I said, punching him jokingly in the shoulder. 

"You're the one who needs to be subtle," Derek countered. "You were standing there with your mouth open, collecting flies. I don't even think someone offering you a million bucks or a new car could break your stalker-stare." 

I rolled my eyes, and walked to my car tossing my flute in the back with my chem textbook. Derek scooted in next to me, tapping on the dashboard, letting me know that he was either doing some deep thinking or he was hungry. It was most likely the latter. 

"Burgers?" I questioned. 

"Sure," he said, yet he kept thrumming. Something was up. I drove, avoiding further questioning, not wanting to agitate him. He would tell me when he was ready. Right?