Chapter 2

Sarah 

 I sat in the front of the classroom, Layla sitting in one of the desks facing me. 

"Why are we here?" she asked, looking exhausted. 

"I have no idea. Mrs. Ferman said she wanted us here." I replied, resting my chin on my cold palm. 

"News flash, Sarah. Mrs. Ferman isn't here! Do you know what I'd give to go rent a movie and get a pizza?" Layla stared at me, her eyes pleading. "Fine," I said. 

After hiking my tote up onto my shoulder, I followed Layla out the door, but not before scanning the classroom once more for Mrs. Ferman. 

Layla walked over to Tahlulah, my hand-me-down car from my sister, and sat impatiently on the trunk. Just for fun, I held down the "trunk open" button on the car remote, sending her on a brief, but gentle, flight through the air. 

"Ha ha ha, very funny," Layla smiled. She moved into the passenger seat of the car. She flipped her auburn hair over her shoulder and got this intense look on her face. "Ok, so big news."

"Ooookay," I said doubtfully, willing her to continue.

"Guess it!" Layla squealed, bouncing her seat, which caused the old car to shake. I put a steadying hand on her shoulder. I hated it when she told me to guess. I was the worst guesser, and she knew it. I just gave her a look. 

"Fine," she huffed, pretending to be disappointed. "Derek asked me out!" 

"Whoa," I said. The delivery of such epic news was so quick, I had to keep myself from slamming my foot on the brake. This was going to take a while to soak in. I paused a moment, trying to picture tiny little Layla next to the hulking football player. 

"Does Benjamin know about this?" I asked. He would definitely want to know about this. 

"Well, since this happened first period today, I have to say no. I mean he's my cousin, not my keeper. I don't have to immediately notify him of every single thing that happens in my life."

"Ok. First of all, this isn't a little thing. It's huge. And second, you're like his younger sister and Derek's his best friend. I think this might be something you might want to inform him of." I proceeded as gently as possible, knowing she thought he was too protective of her. "It's just, he cares so much about you, I think it's the least you could do, you know."

"Okay, I'll tell him later, if Derek hasn't already." Layla's expressive green eyes betrayed her, in the fact that she wanted to say more, but her lips were zipped tight. Yet she managed to let one more comment slip. "It's nice that you care so much about Benjamin."