Chapter 20

Sarah

After what was probably the longest day of my life, I was finally at peace, scrunched between my mom and Layla on the couch.

"Aren't your parents worried about you? You see like you're staying here forever, which I totally don't mind, by the way," I asked.

"About that. My parents took an impromptu anniversary trip to the bahamas for a week. I told them I was staying with you, and that you didn't mind because of your foot," Layla said guiltily.

"Well, I don't mind," my mom began, "You've been doing a great job. And you're like a daughter to me."

"Awww, thank you!" Layla replied brightly. She twisted her auburn hair up into a messy bun and said, "I love girls week!"

"So what were you doing today?" I asked curiously.

"Big confrontation with Derek about his less than truthful ways," Layla said.

"As your second mother, I must go and beat this kid up for lying to you."

"It's fine Mrs. J, we figured it out," Layla giggled.

And then this whole make out session happened in the movie we were watching, so Layla and my mom lost all sense of conversation and stared intently at the tv. I on the other hand, drifted off.

***

I climbed into the passenger seat of the car not like someone with a lot of experience with crutches, but someone with the clumsiness of a gorilla on roller skates.

Layla was driving my car, because I think it was illegal for me to drive. We pulled up to the par in the middle of town and got out of the car. It was still hot outside, but I hoped that the temperature would drop along with the sun.

"Hey guys," Layla said, as she walked over to the blanket that Derek and Ben were sitting on.

What the crap? I ought this was going to be just us. I mean, she never really said it would be, but she never said it wouldn't be either. So I sat next to her, which just so happened to be in between the guys. Great.

The sun dropped quickly and they hung up the giant screen they'd be projecting the movie onto.

"Christmas in June!" Layla said excitedly, "I've been waiting for this since the actual Christmas."

They flicked the projector on and up came the beginning title sequence of some Christmas comedy.

Layla inched away from me, and snuggled into Derek's side. Which left me alone, next to Ben. Maybe I could fake foot pain and illegally drive myself home where I could wallow in self pity. But then I'd be leaving Layla here all alone and she'd have to walk back to my place. Well, she did deserve it for surprise attacking me with this.

But no. I just sat there and shrank into myself. The cool wind blew my dark curls in my face and I just wanted to disappear. The movie was entertaining, at least the parts I was actually paying attention to.