Chapter 15

Sarah

Life in the hospital was horribly boring. Visitors cam every now and then, but it was lonely. And the TVs only seemed to play hospital soap operas. 

Tomorrow morning I would be released, though. Hot showers, reality tv, and food that doesn’t look like it just crawled out of a dumpster. 

Layla came walking into the room, holding my purse and a shopping bag the size of my hospital bed. 

“I’ve got goodies,” she sung. 

“What are they?” I asked. 

“Well,” she started, “Here’s your purse stuffed with your makeup and other things-”

“Layla,” I sighed, “Reason one: I’m in a hospital. I don’t need makeup. Reason two: I will be home in a day. I. Don’t. Need. Makeup.”

She rolled her eyes. “The second thing is a shopping bag.” I rolled my eyes. “Obviously,” I interrupted. She shot me a death glare. “As I was saying before I was so rudely interrupted, it is a shopping bag. Full of shoes. Did you know that if you only buy one of the shoes, the store gives you a half off discount?”

I looked through the bag. They were all super tall heels or mile high wedges. 

“Layla, I’m going to be using crutches. I’m a clutz as is. Add heels and wedges to the whole crutch situation and I’ll be dead before I make it out of this room. Also, if I ever want to wear these after I can wear a pair of shoes, I’ll only have one.”

Layla face-palmed. “I’m sooo stupid sometimes.” 

“Your intentions were pure,” I said, pulling her in for a loving hug. 

“Oooh! Is Roberto proposing to Elena?” Layla gasped. 

“I’m sorry?” I questioned her.

“Oh, the soap opera,” she pointed at the TV.

I shook my head. Today was going to be long. 

***

Around 3, I decided I would take a nap. I drifted off, my dreams momentarily entertaining me. 

I was in a hotel. A really nice hotel, one where you would get the precariously perched chocolates on the folded toilet paper. But really, who wants to eat candy they find in a bathroom? There was a cute guy standing by the elevator. I went over to talk to him, but as I did, adorable guys started popping out of the air. I searched through the crowd. Everyone’s attention was on me as I elbowed my way through. They continued to appear, up until the point to where I couldn’t move. And sensing that I was looking for someone, the guys lifted me up above their heads, and moved me. I was crowd-surfing. Best dream ever. But I knew it wouldn’t be over till I found him. Just as I was at the front door, I saw him. Ben walked into the elevator, and he stared disappointingly at me as the doors closed and he was pulled away from me. 

I woke up with a start. I was woken by the sound of knocking on the door to my hospital room. 

“It’s Ben,” a muffled voice flowed through the door. 

Where did Layla put that makeup? Did I tell her to take it back? Why did I tell her to do that? Wow, I was stupid. 

“Come in,” I called. 

And then Ben walked in.