Chapter 24

Sarah

Finally, a shower. It was really inconvenient, though. I had to wrap my foot in a plastic bag, so it wouldn't get wet. I put on a t-shirt and some Jean shorts. I was afraid if I wore pants, it would mess up the bandages on my foot.  I put on some makeup, and for once since the accident, I looked normal. or at least slightly normal.

I had developed a way to get down the stairs, because going up and down them on crutches was not an option. As gently as possible, I threw the crutches down the stairs and they landed with a loud crash as they collided with the tile. After that, I bum-scooted down the stairs. I closed my eyes and bit my lip against the rug burn. Why again did I wear shorts?

"That was quite a show," someone said as I stood up.

"Oh god," I gasped. "Ben, you scared me!"

"I'm sorry," he laughed, sounding not at all sorry. I glared at him.

What was he doing here?

"Layla was going on a date with Derek. And your mom had to work till twelve," he said, practically reading my mind.

"So, London . . ." I trailed off.

"Yeah. I would've told you, but I figured Layla would tell you. Which apparently she did. My grandma asked me to intern at her company."

"That's great! But what about Brant? I thought he was coming here,” I asked.

“Summer school.”

“Ahh,” I said, understanding.

“So, enough about me. What’s new with you?”

“Other than mastering the art of bum-scooting? Absolutely nothing.”

“Well that’s cool,” he laughed, “How about we watch a movie? One we know is good.”

So I walked over to the couch and sat right down. And Ben sat next to me. Great.

And even the sound of exploding cars and firing machine guns could beat the sweet beckoning of pain med-induced sleep. And of course, I couldn’t stretch out on the couch, so I sunk down a little and threw my head back. Which is the most uncomfortable position in the world.  

***

I woke up, something firm under the left side of my head. In my sleepiness, I couldn’t figure it out. And then I remembered that I was originally asleep sitting up. And now I was on my side.

My grogginess instantly erased, I opened my eyes, and saw legs. Bolting upright, I saw Ben sitting there.

“Crap. I’m sorry Ben, I didn’t mean to,” I said, my face turning red. Stupid pain meds. Falling asleep in his lap was definitely not going to keep things awkward free.

“It’s fine,” he laughed.

“I’m going to go get some water,” I motioned towards the kitchen.

Grabbing my crutches, I hobbled out of the room. I wondered if he would notice if I hid in here until Layla got back. I decided yes.

“Hey,” he said, “You ok?”

“Yes,” I lied.

***

We were sitting on the couch, eating microwaved chow mein out of old Chinese take-out boxes.

“There’s nothing good on tv,” Layla mock-whined.

The channels were flipping on the tv in a blur of colors.

“Stop, you’re making me dizzy!” I cried. Layla rolled her eyes.

“I was thinking,” my mom began, “We should have Benjamin over for a goodbye dinner.”

I internally cringed. I didn’t think I could last through a dinner.

“That’s a great idea, Mrs. J!” Layla said, “It just can’t be the night before he leaves. I have plans for us.”

My eyes flickered over to Layla. I know she meant me and Derek as well when she said us. And she hadn’t mentioned anything of this nature to me before.

“It’s a surprise,” Layla giggled, sensing my stare. Great.