Chapter 29

Benjamin

I knocked on the dark green door.

"Benjamin!" my grandma said as she ushered me inside the small townhouse. "Walter," she called, "Come get the boy's bags."

"It's ok," I told my grandpa as he came to grab my bags from me. After dropping them off in my room on the second floor, I ambled downstairs, and sat at the kitchen table while my grandma made tea on the stove.

"Brant said he had plans for the next two days, so he'll be here later," she spoke, while pouring the hot water into different mugs. She then sat down in front of me.

"So, what has happened to you in the past few weeks?" she asked.

"A lot," I muttered. "What about you?"

"Not much. You're grandpa has been taking some extra time for the business, so I've had some free time," she said, running her finger around the rim of the mug, "So, in my spare time, I've been trying to perfect my pie recipe."

"Sounds great. If you don't mind, I need to go make a phone call."

"Ok, but don't take too long. We need to catch up," she laughed.

I nodded yes and then headed upstairs. I dug around in my bag for my cel phone, and after dogging through a mile high pile of crap, I found it, buried in a half-empty pretzel bag.

Before calling, I looked around my room. I used to stay here every summer and it all looked so familiar and comfortable. The walls were an olive green and the oak furniture was shiny and clean. The cream-colored curtains were pulled back, so I could see the busy London streets beneath me.

Flipping open my cell phone, I dialed the familiar number. She picked up on the first ring.

"Hey," I said.

"Hi. How was your flight?" she asked.

"Long, tiring. I miss you."

"I miss you, too," she whispered.

"You know," I began, "After ten minutes of my deep contemplation, I realized, this sucks."

"I agree," she sighed.

***

"How're your parents?" my grandpa asked.

"You know, I'm not totally sure. I haven't seen them in quite a while," I laughed, while my grandma gave me a sympathetic look.

"I want to catch up with you, so I'm giving you our fist couple of days off," my grandma smiled. 

"That's great. Thanks."

"Not much has changed since you've been here, two years ago," my grandpa said, standing up to get some water. 

"How's Thalia?" my grandma asked. 

"Thalia? Grandma, that was two years ago,. And we weren't serious at all," I said. 

"Oh, that's right," she said. "Who am I thinking of?" She snapped her fingers, like she did when she was trying to remember something. 

"Sarah," my grandpa aided.

"That's right, Sarah," she said, flashing my grandpa a knowing look. "How are things with her?"

"They're . . . good," I said cautiously. My grandma was a notorious gossip. And what was weird was I never mentioned her to them at all. 

"Ok then," she said, letting it go and continuing to dice carrots. My grandma never let things like that go. I guess I have been away too long.