Chapter 6

Pete's point of view.
I watched as the doctors took Flora off into the operating theatre and then walked back in to the waiting room where Evan and Ross were sat.
Ross looked up at me as I sat down next to him; his eyes were red and puffy.
"How is she?" He asked in little more than a whisper.
"She's seriously injured after the accident so the doctors have just taken her down to the operating theatre."
"Is she gonna be okay?" He asked.
"I don't know mate. I hope so."

We sat there in silence for ages. None of us knew what to say about the last 24 hours. We were all speechless.

I don't remember how long we were sat there; it could have been minutes or hours or maybe even days but the one thing I do remember is seeing the nurse that had been looking after Flora walking towards us.
She sat down on the chair next to me and, after a brief moment of silence, said
"You must be Pete O'Hanlon, Ross Farralley and Evan Walsh." We nodded still too upset to speak.
"Look, I know this has been a difficult 24 hours for you but I'm afraid it's about to get even more difficult." She paused for a moment. She didn't need to say the rest because I knew exactly what she was going to say.
"We did all we could but I am incredibly sorry to tell you that the operation was not successful and Flora didn't make it. I'm so sorry."
She gave us all a sympathetic smile and walked away.