Chapter Fifteen

Usually, things started getting better at this point. He’d been through the shit, all wounds were healed, things would be okay now. That had happened in every other situation like this. Unfortunately, this one refused to be typical.

His co workers had become all but ruthless, but he gave as good as he got, and took some guilty pleasure in the verbal fights. That didn’t make it tolerable, but it softened the blow a little. The air conditioning didn’t get fixed until the end of the week, and Aaron’s orientation as a winter person solidified. He had to man the register four out of his six days, and had his first run in with counterfeit money. Luckily for him, it was badly copied, and even Aaron was able to identify it. He alerted his supervisor, who, much to Aaron’s relief, handled it herself.

If Aaron had unlimited funds at his disposal, he would not go out and buy books. He would go get a car or something else expensive, not books. As much as he loved them, they just weren’t worth the jail time.

Every night when he got home, he was exhausted, and even nightly calls with Lucas and Miles couldn't lift his spirits. He couldn't remember being this consistently tired ever before in his life. For the first time ever, his diet consisted mostly of coffee. He was losing weight alarmingly quickly. Where he used to weigh almost a hundred and fifty pounds, he now weighed barely one twenty.

And he'd only been here for a month and a half. At least his parents were proud of him.

"So, how's work?” his mother asked during one of her weekly phone calls.

Aaron made a face. “It’s... work,” he said.

“Oh. That bad, huh?”

“Probably even worse,” Aaron sighed. “Terrible hours, coworkers, and customers. It’s just bad all around.”

“I’m sorry, hon. Why don’t you find another job?”

“I filled out more than twenty applications. This was the only offer I got. Any other jobs out there have already been snatched up, and I just don’t think I have the patience to keep looking.”

“Yeah, job hunting’s never fun,” Sonia agreed. “I’m so proud of you for sticking with it, though, and for keeping this job. You’ve been spending a lot less too, so that’s good.”

Aaron scoffed. “I don’t have enough time to shop anymore. Can’t shop, can’t spend. I don’t even have time to grocery shop, and you can tell. I don’t think I’ve weighed this little since I was fourteen!”

“Oh, well that isn’t good at all.”

“You’re telling me!”

“No, I mean that really isn’t good. You don’t have to cut back that dramatically; I meant just maybe buy cheaper clothes, or eat out less, not starve yourself!”

“It isn’t because I cut back, it’s because I have a sixty hour work week,” he clarified. “I don't have any the time to shop. Even my breaks are spent getting coffee to stay alert. I don’t have time to really eat. I ate a couple granola bars today, and that’s it. Now I’m making Ramen Noodles, ‘cause that’s all I’ve got left.” He groaned. “Just... can we stop talking about this? How are things going with Caleb?”

Sonia hesitated, but eventually answered. “We managed to get a look at one of his credit card bills. Most of the charges were to a hospital. He won’t tell us why, but I guess it’s better than buying alcohol or something. He still won’t let us help him pay them, though.”

“Hospital bills?” Aaron repeated, brow furrowing. “Was he sick?”

“Not that we know of. He seems perfectly healthy. I have no idea what’s going on with him, and frankly, I’m beginning to think I don’t want to know. He wouldn’t hide it if it wasn’t bad, would he?”