Chapter 4

She choked on a sob. "W-what?"

The policeman's eyes held his sympathy. "They were in a car accident. A driver... he ran a red light and crashed into your parents' car. They died on impact."

Tears blurred her vision as she tried to comprehend just what this man was saying. "Th-they're dead? Just like that?"

"I'm sorry," he apologized again. "I can take you to the hospital to see them before..." 

He never finished his sentence but Bella knew what he would say. Before they're taken away and I can never see them again. With a faint nod, Bella tearfully followed the cop to his car. And here I thought Devon breaking up with me was the worst thing to ever happen...

The cop led her away from her parents' bodies. Their scarred, mangled bodies. Bella felt as though she were walking through a misty haze. Her mind felt detached from her body. Suddenly, it was all too much. Just before she lost consciousness and collapsed, she felt a pair of cold, strong arms catch her... and a pair of golden eyes worriedly looking down at her. 

Bella jerked awake, tears instantly filling her eyes. Her nightmare had been awful. But it was no nightmare, she corrected herself. My parents are dead. That's my new reality. A rapid increase of the heart rate monitor she was attached to filled her ears. Her fingers clawed at her throat, trying to clear the invisible vice she felt around her neck. Broken gasps of air slipped through her lips and she felt blood seep from her fresh wounds.

A doctor- the one that had caught her- rushed into the room and pried her fingers away from her throat. "Bella, I need you to take deep breaths. Can you do that for me?"

Bella struggled to respond as she fought to control her breathing. Though shaky, Bella managed to inhale enough air to slowly calm her racing heart. "They're dead," she whispered. "My parents are gone."

The man took her into his arms and rocked her gently. "Shh," he murmured. "It's alright. Just relax. Everything will be okay."

"You're wrong. Things will never be okay," she countered. "Not anymore."