You're Not My Mother

Thunder and lightning split the sky in half. Grace was tucked away in between two fallen shelves. She had not woken up at all. Stephen sat, guarding her. Alec was out the front of the station. With every half hour, the thunder would get louder. She was closing in.

"Has she stirred?"

"No."

"Should we wake her?"

Grace sat bolt upright. Her eyes were closed and her mouth was open in a silent scream. Neither boy was surprised. Grace's eyes opened when her mouth closed.

"They're here."

Alec ran back out the door.

"You're hiding something from me,"Grace said.

"No I'm not."

"Yes you are."

Stephen sighed.

"Your mother is the one coming after us."

"But I can sense more than one demon."

"She must have bought some friends."

"Sounds like fun."

"Not really my definition, but sure."

"I'm going out there."

"Nothing I say can convince you otherwise?"

"Nope."

Stephen followed Grace as she tracked to the front of the gas station. Alec stood out there alone, looking like an aggressive teenage boy.

"You should go back inside," he said without turning around.

"It's my mum we're fighting."

"You told her?"

"She asked," Stephen replied.

The sky came alive with light and Grace's mum was there. So were five creepy looking people. Grace's mum looked rather smug.

"Bernie, you don't have to do this,"Alec took a position in front of Stephen and Grace.

"Yes I do you fucking angel."

"There has to be another way."

"This is the nicest way."

"By murdering your own daughter?"

"She's not mine. I never loved her.She belongs to her father."

"Well I'd rather belong to him than to you," Grace piped up.

She was tired of her so called mum treating her like she was nothing.

"Do you think I ever wanted you?"

"We've had this conversation before. And yes I do. Not so you could have a family; so you could have a half blood child."

"Oh the angels been giving you lessons. How fucking adorable."

The people around Bernie started changing, morphing into terrifying creatures of the night. Their arms and torsos started getting more storm cloud like.

"Grace. Move," hissed Stephen.

Stephen had managed to get his hands on a rather large piece of glass from the smashed front window. Grace moved slightly and watch as Stephen arranged the glass and his old flash light. He was going to reflect the light.

"Sweetie," Bernie cooed. "That'snot going to work against us."

"Really?"

Stephen flicked the switch and angel light poured out of the glass. The goons around Bernie dropped and disappeared.

"I had angel boy fix it up for me,"Stephen twirled the flash light.

"Very clever. But you''re going to need more than a flash light to take me down."

"Why do you think I'm here?" Alec questioned.

It was now that Grace realised that these boys already knew what they were going to do. She backed away further.

Stephen threw the piece of glass and it landed with a wet thunk in Bernie's shoulder. Alec whipped his hands out and light brighter than the flash lights shone out.

"YOU CAN'T KILL ME!"

Bernie was weakening but not dying.Alec looked confused and Stephen was nursing his cuts from the glass.Grace had to help. A long, steel rod lay next to her. Grace picked it up and buried it in Bernie's chest; in the front and out the back.

"But I'm your mother," Bernie whimpered in an attempt to still be human.

"You're not my mother."

Bernie left in a whisp of grey smoke.