Chapter 1

"Keep it steady Lucy," Lockwood grinned, obviously hiding his nerves as his rapier glinted in my torchlight. My hand wavered slightly and Lockwood let out a cry of irritation.
"I said keep it steady."

I reminded him about the horrible Raw-bones that was standing behind him, grinning maliciously.
"Ooh Lockwood," I said in a sing-song voice. "Remember that visitors can feel feeeaaarr."
I stretched out the last word, eyeing him to get him to shut up.
"Ahhh, these glows are bright." I watched as he fumbled for his sunglasses, trying to shield his eyes from the death-glows that I could not see. He found them. I turned my back on him as the Raw-bones circled us. It stopped. I stopped. "Right, let's try and pick this lock before that nasty little raw-bones gets any closer."

I certainly didn't argue with him. That could wait. Right now I was more worried about that disgusting Raw-bones. I changed the grip on my chains; my hands were sweating. I heard Lockwood struggle with the lock behind me. We had looked in all the rooms apart from the locked one. The bathroom. Lockwood and I both knew it would be in that room, but we didn't realise that the moment we touched the handle, a gurgling noise would sound (very loud, I should have brung ear-muffs) and then the horrid Raw-bones materialising just in front of my nose. If it weren't for Lockwood, I'd probably be on the floor, swollen, blue and dead. Nasty thought.

"Just a question," I said to Lockwood, my eyes following the Raw-bones' every move. "Why did they lock the bathroom door?" I glanced quickly at Lockwood's struggles. "So tight?"
"I dunno-" He sheathed his rapier and looked at the Raw-bones. "Do you have a hair pin? Lucy?"
I don't think I heard him. The Raw-bones was grinning broadly, showing his rotten teeth. There was a faint noise and I struggled to hear it. My mouth fell open in concentration and I knew my face would be blank. But wait... there! There it was again, a faint rustling sound and, with horror, I realised that it wasn't the Visitor. Another ghost? No, it sounded... alive.

"Lucy?" Lockwood shook my arm and I fell out of my trance.
"What? Oh yeah, hairpin." I felt around in my pocket and drew out a small, brown piece of plastic bent in half.
"Great. Hope you don't mind Lucy." He straightened out the pin and stuck it in the lock, picking at it. I sighed as I stared at the Raw-bones. The rustling noise was all but gone so I forgot about it.
"Aha!" The lock clicked and Lockwood swung the door inwards.
Smile replaced by an angry growl, the Raw-bones screeched and I covered my ears at the skin-crawling sound. It reached out for my arm with lightning speed. Shouting out with alarm, I swung wildly with my rapier, but the Visitor was relentless. He made a grab for me again and I threw a salt bomb at its hideous face. It screeched and merged into the floor.

"You okay?" Lockwood said as I turned to him.
"Okay." I said as I brushed salt off my black skirt.
"Good" He walked through the door into a very light bathroom, considering the rest of the house was dark and cold with damp and rotting wood.
It was a relatively large house with a winding staircase (I still hated them from Combe Carey) and twelve rooms.
On the bottom floor there was the kitchen, (with a kettle boiling in it) a large living room, a dining room, a study and small bathroom. The first floor occupied three bedrooms, a bathroom, and an empty room. The empty room had one faint death glow in it according to Lockwood, but I didn't hear anything.
Directly above that room was the attics locked bathroom and next to it, one final bedroom. There was a garage but no basement.
Not well kept was an understatement when describing the garden. It was like a forest out there! I almost tumbled over a long lost slide, forgotten in the swarming bushes.
I looked out from the attic bathroom window at the undergrowth as Lockwood looked around. I turned to see him frowning.
"There's nothing here." He said bluntly. "What?" I asked, bewildered. There had to be something. "Well, I picked up a gurgling noise. That had to be something about water, right?"
"I guess so," Lockwood said thoughtfully. "What, your saying that little Master Rease was drowned?"
"Possibly," I said, "But then how come there was a death glow in the empty room?"
Lockwood gave me a quizzical grin. He patted my shoulder; I didn't blush. That was new.
"There's not gonna be anymore red rooms. Not in this house."
I sighed. Then, a sharp pain hit my head.
I fell to the floor with the impact and there was a yelp from outside. My mind swayed and my vision blurred, Lockwood's concerned face swimming before my eyes.
You know, most visitors have perfect timing. They come when you are ready. Today was not the case. That stupid Raw-bones had to come when I was just getting up, didn't it? Well that didn't help my mood, something had thrown something at me and I needed to know who... The rustling creature might be behind it. Hmm. But now I had to focus on not being killed by the visitor.
"Get back to the circle!" Lockwood yelled, desperately trying to make me move. He grabbed my shoulder and pushed me towards the stairs. I knew that getting to the iron circle was the only way we would survive.
Controlling myself, I raced down one flight and tried the handle to the empty room. Locked. Cold. Turning blue...

Poltergeist. Lockwood hadn't realised that I had stopped; he ran into me.
"Go!" He voice was urgent. I pointed to the handle.
"Poltergeist." I said in a whisper. He stopped and looked at the handle.
"Oh great!" He said so sarcastically that I thought he was going to hit me. "Another Type Two!"
I smiled grimly at him. "Lets get to the kitchen."
"Good idea."
We turned to the dreaded staircase, only to face something more dreaded.
The Raw-bones stood at the top of the steps, he grinned evilly at me. I could hear a faint laughter. Gripping a canister of Greek Fire with my left hand, I held tightly into the handle of my rapier, stuck in its sheath. It pressed at my leg, wanting to face the threat but I knew that would be idiotic. You always let the Visitor make the first move.
It screeched. It lunged. I tumbled. I fell.