Chapter Seven

In unison, they screeched as the room lurched down.
"This is it," Liam cried, " We're dead. Before we die, Lucy, I just want to tell you that I-"
Whatever he was about to say was interrupted by a voice resounding in the room.
"Floor 0"
The room settled down. Cautiously, Lucy released her grip on the rails.
"Okay. Well we stopped moving but we're still trap-"
The doors opened as it magic at her words.
Liam laughed nervously.
Poking their heads through the doorway, they saw goblins bustling about paying them no heed.
"Going up to floor 4" the strange feminine voice announced.
Liam and Lucy stepped out into the crowd of goblins in lab coats. The metallic doors clenched shut and they glanced around the room.
It was spacey, with futuristic equipment that the two of them had never seen before. Test tubes were around on the metal tables with suspicious looking liquids in them. A chalk board hung on the sterile wall with equations scribbled on it.
The two teenagers obviously were out of place in this laboratory. A strict looking goblin noticed them and her small eyes grew larger than usual.
"What are two test subjects doing down here?"
Lucy blew out a breath of frustration. Being called a test subject didn't appeal to her. Liam stared at her in wonder, taking mental notes of all that was going on.
"Well whatever, c'mon"
She leapt forward and grasped their wrist with surprising strength.
"Hey!! Let go!" Lucy screamed, straining against the goblin as she pulled the towards a door close to the elevator.
Demon-goblin-lady brought them into a poorly lit hallway type room.
"Get in there. Darn subjects always getting out" she murmured as she stalked back into the lab and the audible click of the door locking was heard.
"Greattttt," Liam moaned.
After a few moments of pouting, Lucy spoke up.
"Well if we ever want to get home we'll have to explore a bit."
"Oh fine."
Carefully, they tiptoed around until the found a giant iron door. After an exchanged glance, they tried the door handle. The door creaked open and light flooded the hallway. What was inside both startled and pleased them both. The sound of children talking drifted out. Smiling, they walked in. But the smile slowly fell away from them. Kids all around their age sat around, in rags. Deprived of food and affection was written all over their faces as they eagerly watched the two in the doorway.
Lucy slipped her hand into Liam's.
What had the goblins done to these kids?