Chapter Ten

Their talk was interrupted by the metal door opening abruptly.
"Meal time," Charles sang changing the mood he had set earlier. An unhappy goblin stood at the doorway, obviously not wanting to get any closer.
The children gathered around but kept a safe distance. Lucy, Charles and Liam all joined at the back of the group. Liam, standing rather protectively in front of Lucy.

The goblin threw a few bags and water bottles into the small crowd who quietly rejoiced and lunged for the nearest items.
"Ahem"
Everyone froze. The people who threw in the bare minimums never stuck around. Unless something was about to happen.

"Someone has to come with me"

The goblin's gruff voice Echoed menacingly in the quiet. Glancing around the room, the kids seemed to stop viewing each other as friends, but as possible sacrifices. Anyone but themselves. If someone didn't speak up soon, someone would be randomly chosen.

"I'll go"

All eyes went to Lucy.
"Are you mad?" Liam hissed.

Lucy didn't answer him but confidently walked through the awed children.
"Lucy, I'm warning you"
She turned to Charles, who had turned deathly white.
"It's... It's bad. You might not make it"
"I'll be alright. See you around,"she attempted a weak smile and felt her spirits lift a little at the fact that those suffering kids wouldn't have to go through it.

"Enough. We've got places to be" the goblin locked her arm in a solid grip and pulled her away, out into the unwelcoming darkness.
The last thing Lucy saw before the doors closed was Liam's face, and the helpless look on it.