Ancient Blood Chapter 3

Vaclav watched as the light blue car drove up to the apartment building. A young woman got out of the car and walked into the building. Vaclav watched her with great interest. In truth he had been watching her with great interest for the past three nights. In that time he was sure that he knew more about her than she did. He knew her entire daily routine, where she worked, her favorite food, most importantly, her security, which was quite poor. She was one of Vaclav's targets. He wasn't sure why she had to die, and he didn't ask. She seemed so innocent. However, this was a contract that Vaclav had accepted, and since he was hungry anyway, he did not hesitate to sneak into her bedroom window as a form of mist.

The woman made her way into her bedroom, where Vaclav waited in the corner, his face hidden by his hood, his fanged smile being the only thing she could see of his face. "Who-who are you?" the woman inquired fearfully. "My name is of very little importance" Vaclav said, his Transylvanian accent gliding through the air and into the woman's ears. His voice was somewhat calming. She had no idea who he was, but when she heard his voice all fear simply vanished.

The woman did not turn and run, when he approached her, nor did she tremble when he embraced her. This was the effect that the vampire could have upon mortals. The trance-like state that they could envelope their prey in, almost in the same manner in which a wasp traps another insect into it's gaze, slowly pulling it closer to it's inevitable end. The woman let out a small whimper as Vaclav's teeth sank into the soft flesh of her neck.

Vaclav held her their for a while, savoring the warm liquid as it graced his lips. The woman sank to her knees, but Vaclav did not let go. His grip was like a vice as the blood strengthened him. Her body turned a deathly pale. After about two more minutes, Vaclav finally let go. Staring down at the dry, pale husk that lay before him, Vaclav felt guilty. He observed her body closely. Her hair was long and blond. He watched as her deep blue eyes doubled over, as the last bit of life that she was clutching to escaped her.

His contract complete and his hunger sated, Vaclav turned back into mist, and floated silently out of the opened window.