Chapter Three: A Few More Tears

Chapter Three: 

A Few More Tears

-Kevin- 

I would have been shedding tears of joy for my sister's wedding but considering the fact that she gets married before I do AND THAT SHE'S MARRYING THE ONLY PERSON I HAVE LOVED IN MY ENTIRE EXISTENCE, THIS IS A FUCKIING AWKWARD SITUATION TO BE IN.

Si Father naman, mukhang bored. "Speak now or forever hold your peace."

Then silence. Muntik na akong tumayo! Bakit naman ba ako tatayo? Novel ba to ni Nicholas Sparks? Movie ni Antoinette Jadaone? Kanta ni Adele?

"The bride shall start the speaking of vows." Sabi ni Father.

"I, Nicole Alexis Trinidad, take you, Lester Tolentino to be my husband. I promise to be true to you in good times and in bad, in sickness and in health. I will love you and honor you all the days of my life." She smiled while sliding the ring to his finger.

Tears flowed freely on my cheeks but I made sure nobody noticed. Buti na lang nag eyeglasses ako :D

"Now, the groom." Father signalled.

"I, Lester Tolentino, take you, Nicole Alexis Trinidad, to be my lawfully wedded wife, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, until death do us part." While he slid the ring on my sister's finger, I bowed down. Pinigilan kong wag humikbi..baka ma-interrogate ako mamaya sa reception.

"You may now kiss the bride."

I can't help but look up.

In a bespoke Vera Wang wedding dress, my sister looked truly elegant. Her hair tied up in a neat bun with hanging curled bits that fell on her angelic face added more drama in her look. I have no doubts why she had a heartthrob for a husband.

With a full grin, Lester slowly puckered his lips and kissed Nicole. He was dressed in a fine, gunmetal gray suit with a black bow-tie. Together, they made a fairytale.

***

"Ladies and gentleman, here is Kevin and his band singing You Were Mine by Dixie Chicks. Let's give him a round of applause!" The MC blurted on the microphone. The clapping crown made my heart beat faster. And suddenly I realized how inappropriate it is to sing a divorce-y kind of song in a wedding reception.

Fuck.

Bago ako pumunta sa harap, I took one last glance at Lester. But he was too busy chatting with his wife.

"I can't find a reason to let go. Even though you've found a new love, and she's what your dreams are made of." Everybody fell silent or at least in my ears.

I continued.

"I can find a reason to hang on. What went wrong can be forgiven, without you it ain't worth livin' alone."

Tears began to swell up on my eyes. And I found it difficult to continue. But still, I did.

"Sometimes, I wake up crying at night. Sometimes, I scream out your name. What right does she have to take your heart away, when for so long you were mine?"

He was never mine.

I stopped. But the band still played the instrumentals.

"That's all I can share for tonight guys. Have fun!" Bago tumulo ang luha ko, I ran for the bathroom. And I saw Lester trying to catch up with me.

He succeeded..

Without saying a word, he grabbed me and put my head on his chest--hugging me like there's nothing wrong with it.

"I'm really really sorry Kevin. I'm sorry." Pinigilan kong lumuha. When he decided to break the hug, I ran outside the reception hall and sat behind a tree with my face buried in my hands.

This is the end of it. I promised that I will never hope again. That it is better to accept that my love for him is pointless than to expect that he'll love me back.

And when I woke up the next day in my bed, I broke what I promised to myself.