Chapter Nine: Revenge of the Fallen

Chapter Nine: 

Revenge of the Fallen

(Kevin's Point of View)

And boom there goes my heart in pieces.

I hugged Nicole and shook Lester's hand.

Toby grabbed my hand.

"Now that we are all here for the big announcement––Nicole, Bro, congratulations!––might as well disclose to you that I and Toby," he squeezes my hands tighter, "are now exclusively and romantically dating."

For a moment there, Lester's eyes went wide, but the screaming fits of my little sister broke the tension. "Uy yang bahay-bata mo, tol!" Sabi ko sabay ngiti.

At least I had my own little revenge.

Except that it wasn't planned.

And it isn't exactly a revenge.

****

When we finally settled down and the HAPPY couple went home, pinuntahan ko ang gago sa kwarto niya.

"Hoy Toby!" I shouted at his door

He instantly opened it. "Yep?"

"So tayo pala?"

"Ha?"

"Anong 'ha'! Gago ka pala eh!"

"Hey Kevin, don't be mad at me. I only did what was right-uhh, right in my opinion, I guess.."

"Bakit mo naman ginawa yun eh hindi naman talaga tayo. May nanligaw ba? Wala naman diba? So ano yan forever tayong magprepretend?" I asked, eyes twitching.

"You know what Kevs, I love you, okay. You love him. He loves Nikki. Can't you see how clichéd and fucked up this love triangle is? The reason why you can't sleep at night is that because he cannot return your love. And that's exactly how I feel as well." He put on a shirt.

"So you're gonna beg me to love you back?"

"No I cannot do that. That's so uncalled for. I want you to love me involuntarily. The same way you want Lester to love you too."

"It can't happen, me and Lester. At least, not anymore." I frowned, giving up hope.

"So, I have a chance?" He asked.

"Don't ask me that question Toby. I don't know how to answer that. Can we sleep together. Wait that didn't come out right..pwede ba tayong magtabi?"

He laughed and nodded, reaching to kiss my neck. But I smacked his mouth lightly with my hand and pushed it away.

***

Tama si Toby. Mahal niya ako, mahal ko si Lester, mahal ni Lester si Nicole. Dahil mahal ni Nicole si Lester, hindi na siya capable na mahalin ako. And that is the end of the chain. However Toby is doing his best to win me, and to be honest, nakakaflatter. Nakakaflatter kasi may taong pinaglalaban ako, at gustong patunayan na mas magiging masaya ako sa kanya. Ang sarap pala sa feeling na may taong gusto kang pasayahin.

Pero pano na? Di ko man maamin sa sarili ko––kasi ayaw ko nang umasa––na "nasaktan" si Lester dahil "kami" na ni Toby. Pero nakita ko sa mga mata niya, and he can't fool me..

He knows nothing about getting hurt.