Chapter 19

I woke up to my alarm blazing in my ear. I reached over and fumbled with the off button until the beeping shut off.

I crawled off the bed and shuffled over to the bathroom to do my morning routine, which included brushing my hair and teeth, washing my face, and applying my makeup. I finished and walked back into my bedroom, now fully awake.

I put on the clothes that I had chosen yesterday, and plugged in the curling wand that I jacked from Kristen one day last week. I curled my hair, and I have to say that it was one the best jobs I have ever done by myself.

By the time I had finished, it was still only 7:45, leaving me with tons of time to go get breakfast. I shoved my iPod and phone in by bag, grabbed my key and left my room, being careful to lock the door behind me.

I went across the hall and knocked hard on Kristen's door, hearing a muffled response about breaking the door down. I opened the door and discovered a sleepy Kristen sitting up on her bed, rubbing the sleep out of her eyes.

"Today is picture day; wear something nice." I said, walking across the room to stand in front of her. She made no move to get up, so I stomped over to her her wardrobe. I hauled out a pair of dark skinny jeans and a deep red button down shirt and threw it at her face. "Put it on, I'm not helping you with that. I'll be at the school having breakfast if you need me."

"Umhum." Kristen said, standing up. I left her room and walked over to the school building's cafeteria where I ran into Kathrin and Paige.They were sitting down eating toast when I sat down next to them. I had a blueberry bagel in one hand, and a glass of orange juice in the other.

"Heey." I said with a mouth full of bagel.

"Hey." Kathrin said, sipping her apple juice. Paige waved, she had toast in her mouth. Not like that would stop me from talking.

"So, you prepared for the pictures today?" I asked, noticing their dressy outfits and perfect hair. Kathrin had her strawberry hair down straight, wearing a pink ruffled tank and black leggings. Paige had her blonde hair crimped, wearing a nice blue knee length high-low dress.

They both nodded and tried to finish up their breakfast. I inhaled the rest of my bagel and chugged my juice, finishing well before them. They would make my mom proud, they ate like proper ladies.

"Bye. Catch ya later." I said, throwing out my cup as I exited the cafe. I walked up to my locker and grabbed my books for my first two periods; I was soon going to be late for class.

I walked into my homeroom and took a seat in front of Derek, who was sitting with his head resting on his arms. I pulled at his black hair, making small braids all over.

"What are you doing?" he asked, lifting his head. I pushed it back down, harder than I meant to.

"Don't move, I'm not done."

"Don't mess it up..." he fussed, putting his head up and raking his hand through his hair.

"You're worse than a girl." I said, crossing my arms. He just smiled and finished fixing his always messy hair.

"You look nice today." he commented, taking in my hair and outfit.

"Do I not on any other?"

"No, you know what I mean."

"No, I don't."

"Yes you do." I shook my head innocently, and he sighed. "You always look good, but you look extra special today." he elaborated. I smiled.

"Why thank you, kind sir. You look quite dashing today yourself." I said, looking at his green button down dress shirt and dark jeans. He grinned.

"You know it." The bell rang and we went to our first class of the day.