10. Tradition Is Wasted

"Happy birthday, sweetie!" Angela hugged her from behind. Brennan didn't know why she was startled. She should have been used to it by then.

"It's the 12th time you've wished me a happy birthday today, Ange."

"I know. I'm so great!" She watched as her friend went behind her desk and sat at the computer. "What are you doing? I thought you were done for the day," she said.

"I am. Almost."

"Good. Because we are going out tonight."

"What for?"

"To celebrate, what else?!"

"You know how I feel about birthdays," she complained.

"And you know how I feel about them. You can't say no. Last year, you said you would let me take you out this year. So... Up, up, up!"

Brennan sighed. She knew she should make an effort and go out with Angela. But she was waiting for something else. Not that she would ever admit it, but... Booth always hung out with her on her birthday. He would always come by after work. They would order in and spend a quiet evening together. He never mentioned it was for her birthday, because he knew she hated it, but he was there. And he always discreetly put a funny birthday card on her desk. And she liked that tradition. Not that she would call it a tradition, per se.

"I think we should concentrate on the case," she tried.

"There's nothing to concentrate on! Without a confession, we will never get Turner."

"Maybe we missed som..."

"No. Stop. Don't even go there, it's not healthy."

Brennan didn't want to say out loud that she was waiting for Booth, but she couldn't think of an excuse, and she didn't want to lie to her best friend.

"Booth should come by soon. He... needs this file," she remembered. She held it high to show Angela she wasn't making this up.

"Ok. Then after, we go out."

"I don't really..."

Angela tried not to get excited as it hit her.

"Do you have plans with Booth?"

"No..."

The artist tilted her head and examined the scientist's features. Surely she wouldn't be lying about something like this.

"There he is," Brennan pointed out as Booth joined them.

"Hello, ladies," he greeted them, cheerful.

"Why, hello to you, too, Booth," Angela replied, still looking at Brennan.

Feeling stared at, Brennan handed him the file he wanted before he even had a chance to ask for it. She glimpsed at Angela, who usually left them alone rather quickly. Why this moment was any different, she had no idea.

If Brennan didn't want to give her a straight answer, she would have to ask the other party.

"So! Booth! What are your plans for tonight?"

That's when he started to act strangely. He buried his hands in his pockets and shifted on his feet. "I'm going out," he said, like it was no big deal.

Angela's eyes grew bigger. Did those two have a secret date tonight? Impossible. Life was never that awesome. She looked from one to the other and realized Brennan looked surprised. And... quite shaken up.

He was going out?

"You are?" she repeated before she could stop herself.

Angela asked the question that was burning Brennan's lips. "With whom?"