16. The Confession

Brennan played with her keychain, wondering why he had to smell so good past 11 at night.

"You were looking for me?" he repeated, a little surprised.

"I went to see you, but Cam said you were out." Good thing, too. I had no idea what to say to you. I still don't. Please talk first.

Booth looked at Brennan who seemed to have a whole lot of interest for her keys at the moment. He wanted to make sure there was no misinterpretation.

"Michelle couldn't babysit and Cam offered, so..."

"Yeah, she mentioned she was watching Parker."

"Uhm..." Booth felt like a fool. It was late. The streetlight next to them wasn't working and it was getting cold. "You wanted to talk to me?" No, you idiot. She went by your place to see Cam.

"Yes."

Could you elaborate, please?

"I... Angela's mad at me. She says she won't talk to me."

Booth quickly stopped her.

"You know how I feel about catfights."

"There were no cats," Brennan frowned.

"I won't get in the middle of two women fighting." Except if I'm drunk and there's mud involved. He never thought he would see the day where Hodgins' voice would seep through his brain.

"You already are in the middle," she let out, walking away. She reached the front door and opened it.

"What do you mean?" he asked, following her.

"The argument was about you. Well, about me. Or us."

"They can't stop meddling, can they?" he mumbled.

"But she got me thinking."

Was thinking good or bad?

He said nothing. She motioned for him to come in. They reached her apartment in silence and she turned on the lights before closing the door behind them.

"You can sit down," she said, pointing to the couch and dropping her keys on the small table by the entrance.

He sat on the armrest, and she stood in front of him. Far enough.

Brennan licked her lips. Her throat was as dry as it could be. Her hands started to shake, but she hid them in her jeans pocket. Her fingers touched the list.

"I went to your place," she said. She didn't have a speech. She didn't know what she would say. She just felt like she had to.

"You already said that," he said with a smile. She was nervous about something. He got nervous, too.

"I wanted to warn you."

She grabbed the piece of paper in her pocket with the tip of her fingers and pulled it out.

"I'm pretty sure I have all the symptoms," she went on, trying to steady her voice.

"Of swine flu?" he asked, half-joking, half-worried.

She laughed. And thanked him silently for allowing her to let out some nerves.

"No. It's... I made a list."

She unfolded it. Booth was watching her closely. What is she doing?

"You can... Stop me anytime if you hear something irrelevant. Let's just say I'm not an expert on the subject."

"Ok..." he agreed. He just had no idea what she was talking about. But that wasn't a first.

Her eyes scampered over the words. I can't believe you're doing this. This is so stupid. He'll laugh and mock you. No he won't. You can do this.