Chapter Fourteen: Encore Finale

… W-What is this place? Was the first thing that came into my mind.

I can’t see anything… There’s only darkness here…

Where am I? I asked myself. I don’t remember anything else that could’ve led me to this dreary place. I have been floating around this semi-darkness for a while now, and still, there’s no sign of change that’s going to happen…

Last thing I remember was stepping on the tournament platform along with Maya… Jonathan appeared not long after…

But Anthony himself didn’t show up… I can still remember the quizzical look on Teku’s face at the absence of his friend…

After that, the emcee said a few words to the audience, they cheered, and then we headed on to the machine behind us…

And then, all else is a blur…

Where am I? I asked myself once again. I would’ve called out in the hopes of finding an answer, but it is as if an invisible force is present that prevents me from moving or speaking at all. My arms feels like it’s being weighed down by cinderblocks and my throat being bound up so tightly that not even a squeak of noise could pass through. All I can rely on are my thoughts to call on everyone… someone… anyone…

Hello? Is there anybody around here? Please answer me!

Please… I don’t want to be alone… I thought somberly, starting to feel dismay.

Then a voice began. At first, it was an indistinguishable slur, but since I’m pretty much getting desperate floating around in this weird darkness, I strained all my focus to hear it.

“Pat… I don’t know if you can hear me… I just came by to apologize…”

It was then that I realized that it’s Anthony that I’m hearing.

“I-I didn’t really intend to hurt you back there… I guess I let my mouth run around a little loose there…”

Yeah, you sure did. I thought, and yet, I can’t bring myself to say it in front of him… Not because I can’t see him or because that I can’t speak at all…

“I hope you can forgive me… I really am sorry for what I did back there…”

… Anthony… I thought, touched by his words. I would’ve forgiven him immediately if only I could find any means to communicate with him right now…

“Well, I don’t think I will be hearing from you for a while…” He continued, his voice now beginning to become more distant.

… Wait, what does he mean by that? I wondered.

“Guess I’ll see you around then, Pat…” He said finally. Then I heard footsteps… his footsteps trailing away…

Wait, what do you mean by that? My thoughts screamed mentally. It’s like we’re never going to meet each other again!

Answer me… Please!

But, unless I somehow managed to master telepathy in such short notice, there is no way he’s going to hear me even if I call out my thoughts. As I heard the sound of a door shutting from a distant, I began to feel sadness… Sadness that I want to let out but I can’t…

Even though I do not know if this is all for real, I still felt like crying…

Please, let me wake up from this dream… I pleaded myself.

Then, as if those words were some kind of magic password, everything, even the darkness around me, began to fade…

I have no inclination on what might happen next, but it’s better than staying stoic in a place like that…