Runaway Royalty

Clarke was working her stand in the market as usual. Everyday she stood in the four by four stall and sold her mother's leftover herbs, special poultices, & medicines while Abby herself tended patients at their practice. Clarke had gotten into the habit of people watching as opposed to hawking her wares the way that she was supposed to. For every person that passed, she invented a story in her mind.

The older woman who always had a flock of children around her was a mother four grown, women and a teenage son. The children were her daughters', who all adored the old lady (at least in Clarke's mind). The young couple who always stopped by the stall next door, came by next. Clarke had decided that they were either trying for a baby or were very early on in expecting, from the way that they tended towards the pink and blue dyed cloths. Sometimes the pair would glance at the items Clarke's mom had sent with her, but she had never seen them buy anything from anyone. Today, however, everything was changing.

"Do you have anything that might promote one's fertility?" The young man asked in (whom Clarke assumed to be) his wife's behalf.

"Yes sir, this is a thing that the women in my mother's family have prepared for centuries. Plus, it's probably the reason I exist." Clarke said jovially, glad that she was right. She pulled a vial of the stuff from under the shelf that she had been saving for them just in case.

"Here you go, that's only 15 of you don't mind." Clarke requested.

"Thank you very much." She said as they took their potion and left. That is, they tried to, but were run over by a teenager, hidden by a long and cowled cloak.

"I'm so sorry!" The girl called over her shoulder before falling into a slide and ducking in between stalls to hide behind Clarke's.

"Is he okay?" She asks, the hood falling back to reveal a beautiful and terrified face.

"Yeah, he's fine. What are you running from? Who are you?!" Clarke spits out, hesitant to reveal the location of someone who looks so scared and is so absolutely gorgeous, even as guards tore down the main path.

"My name is Lexa and I'm running from those guards to be completely honest. However, I haven't done anything wrong. There's a job that they've been training me for that I really don't want to do anymore, and now they're trying to force me to." She was basically pleading with Clarke now, her eyes filled with tears. The blonde girl knew that she wouldn't be able to turn over someone who looked so completely vulnerable.

"Alright Lexa, I'll help you but, if this gets me killed, I will be very put out with you." Clarke puts her hands on her hips, trying not to smirk.

"Thank you, so much." Lexa sighs with relief, finally leaning back in her spot and exhaling a breath she didn't know she had been holding.

"Who am I to turn down a pretty girl?" Clarke asks with a smirk.

"That's what I always say." Lexa agrees, curling into a comfortable ball.

"So, where do you plan on going from here?" Clarke asks, only pretending to return to her work. She was much more interested in seeing what this strange girl had to say.

"I...hadn't really thought that far ahead." Lexa admits.

"Do you at least know where you are going to stay tonight?" Clarke asks with an expression of astonished amusement.

"Uhm, yeah, no, I don't know that either. I'm kind of making this all up as I go. I was mostly planning my escape, not what would come after I had gotten out." Lexa says sheepishly with a grin that could light up the whole city. Somehow, the longer Clarke was around this girl, the more familiar she seemed.