Chapter 7: Decisions

The Doctor crossed the room to the desk near the foot of the bed and placed the tray on it. He started pouring tea into the cups. Clara sighed and got to her feet. Great timing Doctor. As usual. She gave Clair an amused smile and moved over to help the Doctor.

"Tea, Clair?"

"Yes please."

"Sugar?"

"Two, please."

"Milk?"

Clair nodded. Clara fixed the teas and brought over two cups. Clair shuffled into a sitting position, hastily wiping away the remaining tears on her face, and took the cup Clara offered her with a quiet "Thankyou". Clara re-seated herself in the chair. The Doctor came over, but remained standing.

"So," he started, after taking a long sip from his tea. "Clair."

Clair snapped her attention to him. Something about him was just so incredibly captivating, demanding attention. She stared at him with wide eyes. She almost found herself smiling. She wasn't sure why. It was just something about him.

"What were you doing, wandering around, alone, on the shady streets of London?"

"Um, Doctor," Clara leaned forward in her chair. "Clair's already told me her story, and I don't think we should make her tell it again so soon." She glanced at Clair's tired and worn face. One reliving of her whole life was surely enough for one day. "I'll tell you later."

"It's okay," Clair said quietly. Might as well, she thought. "I can tell it again, if you want."

"Excellent," the Doctor said, sounding pleased. Clara sighed irritably, but if Clair wanted to tell her story again, it was her choice. And besides, maybe I can make more sense of it the second time.

So Clair retold her story while the Doctor and Clara listened intently, and when she finished, there was silence.

"What are you going to do now?"

Clair looked up from her teacup at the Doctor's question.

"Find a job," she answered. "That's always been my plan. I'll have to leave London - they're looking for me here, and I can't let them find me. So I guess I'll go somewhere out in the countryside, far from here. Get a job doing something simple enough to be overlooked. Until I come of age and get on with my life, I'll just have to stay under the radar." She sighed. Life. A big task. But it's what I've always wanted, she reminded herself.

"But what are you going to do with your life? Got any interests? Hobbies you could make into a notable career?"

Clair stared at the Doctor. She hadn't got that far really. Vague ideas was all she had.

"I... I don't know. I guess... I've always had an interest in birds. Maybe I'll work in a zoo or something. And I want to be a writer. Write books and stories for people to read, or go into journalism maybe."

"It's not really a solid plan, is it?"

"Doctor!"

The Doctor ignored Clara, who couldn't believe that the Doctor was blaming Clair for not having a plan (After everything she's been through!), and scrutinised Clair as she blushed and frowned at him angrily. How dare he even... Rage sparked a fire inside her that caught and flared up in an instant.

"Well maybe if I hadn't been so intent on escaping from a hellhole for my entire life I'd have a better plan!" Clair's voice was strong now. Strong and outraged. "Maybe if I'd had a chance to explore my interests and do normal things and have a normal life I'd know where I was going! But I didn't have that liberty! I never got a chance at a normal life! I had to make do, and I'll keep making do with whatever I've got."