Chapter 13: Gravity

Corey's POV

I kept my head down and my mouth shut. But my mind was racing and my blood was boiling. All I saw in my head was Hunter. His hands all over Mattie, his lips on her neck. I saw her tears rolling down her face. I've always been known for my temper, but this wasn't like anything I had experienced before. My body reacted before my mind did. All I knew was that I wanted to hurt Hunter. I wanted to make him feel the way that he had made Mattie feel. No one hurt anyone I love, ever.

I was sitting in a cell by myself in the Los Angeles County jail. It was cold, and everything was made of stainless steel. A lone cop sat at a desk in the corner of the main room finishing up paperwork on his computer.

There was a clang of keys being shoved inside a lock and I looked up. Shannon was there with the officer who had arrested me. The look on her face was stoic and blank. Her expression was unreadable.

"Well, Mr. Taylor, looks like we got our story straightened out. Ms. James gave us her statement, and there were some eyewitnesses there who confirmed her story." The cop said as he unlocked the cell door and opened it wide for me. "You won't be charged with anything, but maybe you should learn to control your temper." He added. I didn't say anything and nodded to him.

Shannon was on my ass the second we were in the hallway that connected the courthouse and the jail. She sighed in anger, "What were you thinking Corey? Do you know how bad this is going to look?" We kept walking. "I know, Shannon. Believe me, I know. But I had to protect Mattie. You should've seen..." I couldn't finish. What Hunter had done to Mattie was unspeakable. It was disgusting. And I hated him for that.

"Where is she, Shannon? Where's Mattie? And Addison."

"They're back at your place Corey. I need to discuss some things with you when we get there."

Well, fuck. That didn't sound good.

Shannon held her arm out and stopped me before we rounded the corner to go out the front doors. She sighed again, "Corey, just a warning. The paparazzi are outside. They're probably going to run a story about this. Just keep your eyes ahead of you, and don't say anything."

"Yeah, okay." I said.

Shannon and I walked around the corner and opened the doors, we stepped into the bright sunlight and it was almost instantaneous.

"COREY! COREY! WHY DID YOU BEAT THAT MAN TO A PULP?!
"Did you know that woman?! Is she your girlfriend?"
"Mr. Taylor! Just a quick picture! Look over here!"
"Does your reaction have anything to do with Paul Gray's death?! Why are you so angry!?"

I took a shaky breathe and pushed my way through the crowd of people. It was like I was in a beehive. Every where I looked there was buzzing and there were people pushing towards me. Shannon was behind me, pushing me forward to her car. Thank God the passenger door was open. I slid inside and put my hand over my face, shielding my eyes from the crowd. There were flashes all around me and people were still screaming. Shannon got in on the driver's side and started the car. We pulled away swiftly from the curb.

I had really fucked up this time. I wonder how I would fix this.

***

Mattie's POV

I was sitting on the couch in Corey's living room facing the window towards the driveway. Addison sat on the armchair in the corner. We sat in silence, the only noises in the room came from the clock on the wall. It ticked the seconds by ominously. TICK...TOC..TICK...TOC.

I shifted my position again and wrung my hands in my lap. I was able to steal a glace at Addison. Her eyes were closed and she was thinking about something. I didn't dare interrupt and ask what was wrong. I had a feeling I had something to do with it. My anxiety was at a ten. My heart raced and I had to make myself take deep breaths. Was Shannon able to get Corey out? Did the police believe me when I said that Hunter had assaulted me? And that Corey was trying to help me?