Chapter 16: Roses and Violets

Corey's POV

The meeting with the publishers had gone just as planned. They liked every thing. Every sentence, word, and punctuation mark. I signed the release statement with a flourish and felt a sense of accomplishment. In a few short months people would be reading about my life. My secrets wouldn't be private anymore, but I felt like this was a step I needed to take. Maybe my struggles would help someone in need. Maybe it would show someone that they are never really alone.

Addison cried. I sort of expected this. She shook the hands of the publishers when we stood up and said our good-byes. She thanked them over and over for giving her such an amazing opportunity. Shannon left early. She took a call on her phone and excused herself from the room, but she never came back. I would have to call her soon.

We sat at a red light down the street from my house. Addison was driving and I was in the passenger seat. The sun was out now, and the windows were down. A slight breeze blew through the car, carrying the smell of wet Earth and grass. The radio was off, but Addison and I sat in comfortable silence. She spoke first.

"I'm so happy right now. I really don't think I have ever been this happy."

I nodded at her and smiled. "I know, it's different. I like it."

The light turned green and we made the turn into my housing development. We turned into the start of the driveway in front of the gate. Addison punched the code into the box and the gate swung open. I couldn't wait to share this moment with Mattie. We had all spent the last few months together on this project and we needed to celebrate.

I opened the door with Addison right behind me. But something didn't feel right. Something was wrong. I was immediately on edge. I threw my arm out and stopped Addison behind me. "Mattie?" I called out.

"Corey. Up here."

I knew that voice and walked up the steps to the living room. Shannon was there sitting on my couch with a glass of red wine in her hand. There were other various bottles of liquor next to her. What the fuck was going on?

"What's going on? Where's Mattie?" Addison asked as she stepped ahead of me with her eyes locked on Shannon.

Shannon took a long sip of wine then cleared her throat. "Mattie's gone."

My heart rate picked up. "What does that fucking mean? She's gone?!" I yelled and ran my hands back through my slicked back hair.

Shannon then stood off of the couch and motioned for us to follow her. Addison was first as we made our way down the hallway and to my bedroom. Shannon opened the door. The room was in disarray  and the smell of vomit was sickening. My clothes were scattered all over the floor. The comforter was shoved under the bed. I walked to the bathroom and peeked inside. It was littered with shampoo bottles, medicines, first aid cream, and bottles of vitamins. The cabinet door under the sink was wide open and it's contents were thrown on top of the counter and in the sink.

"What the fuck happened here? Where's Mattie?" Addison said as she put a shaky hand over her mouth and nose. I turned and looked at Shannon. She didn't say anything. She just looked at us.

"GODAMMIT SHANNON!" I screamed as I walk towards her, "Where is she?!"

Shannon shook her head. "I came back to the house because she called me. She said she was leaving because Hunter had called her, and she was going back to him. But I could tell she was drunk, so I came to help her."

She's fucking lying. Mattie would never do that to me or to herself. She knew that I loved her. She knew that I needed her as much as she needed me. "...I don't believe you." I whispered.