Chapter 8

"What? Just because I have the same last name as a 'big guy' criminal that happens to take a break at the same time as me, I'm somehow connected to it?" Jade said, pursing her lips as she ended. 'Now that I say it out loud it really does sound stupid trying to deny it.' Jade mentally sighed.

"Did you just hear yourself?" Misuki asked.

"Yeah... Okay to be fair-" Jade paused a bit and looked around the room. She instantly pointed to Hiraku and said "He started this shit!"

Misuki deadpanned, turning to his younger friend "Really? Can you not be the cause for once?"

"It wasn't completely my fault!" Hiraku pointed back to Jade "She got into the auction all by herself, I simply bought her."

"Hm! 'Simply bought her' you say it as if purchasing a human being us no different than purchasing a cat! I get that it's where people go to buy things that aren't 'legal', but did anyone ever think that putting people up for sale might be a bit much?! You shouldn't be able to give someone a couple hundred dollar bills in order to-to get the responsibility of a human life! Money shouldn't be used to bribe someone to hand over a life." Her last sentence had started of strong but faded off into a whisper at the end. She now sat still, looking down at her limp hand on her lap.

"We didn't bribe anyone." Hiraku said in a confused tone after a lengthy pause. He looked at Jade, who's hands were now small fists in her lap, and said more than asked "You weren't talking about the auction, were you?"

Everyone was silent as the room temperature dropped ten degrees. They all stared at the girl, who's fist were now at her sides as she tried to calm herself down 'breath in... breath out... breath in... breath o-out-' she began to shake as breathing became harder. Her lungs burned for her to take in a deep breath, but she refused to, in fear that in would shudder.

No one had noticed someone get up and walk towards the girl, at least not until he was right in front of her. When he had entered the room he had wanted to be as far away from her as possible, but now all he wanted to do was hold her close and comfort her. He wanted to hide how weak she could really be, it wasn't easy to be mad at her when she looked like this-when she always acted as if nothing in the world could ever hurt her-it was impossible to be mad at her when she looked this vulnerable.

He wrapped his arms around her tightly, and softy rubbed the back of the shaking girl. Her shaking fist slowly opened as she tentatively reached up and put her arms around him, she buried her her in his shoulder as she took in a shuddered breath and releasing a few silent tears.

"It's alright." He said as she hiccuped "It's all alright."

"Rikki?" She question him, after all they had been having an argument earlier. She hadn't questioned his actions earlier because she wasn't in the emotional state to question anything.

"Shh... It's fine..." He said as he continued to comfort her.

Muahahahaha, I'm stopping there. I promise the Rikki thing has a purpose, no love triangle.