Chapter 3

I groaned as I woke up at ten. I went into the shower groggily, and picked out some shorts which were long enough for Axel not to freak at me, and a band t-shirt.

"Ugh…” Tracey said, stumbling past me into the bathroom. I put the coffee machine on, and started getting my hair and make up done.

"I decided to leave my hair curly, and did my makeup very subtly. I knew Axel wasn’t going to be happy when he found out the truth.

“Why the hell aren’t you at school?” Matt asked when Tracey and I came down the stairs.

“Axel’s coming,” I said, shrugging.

It was then that I heard the car pull up outside.

“Axel’s here,” I said quietly. Matt went to open the door, and fell backwards as Axel punched his face.

“What the hell!” Matt shouted as Axel punched him again. Then he saw me and attacked me in a bear hug.

“You ok?” He asked.

“Uh-huh,” I told him, hugging him tighter.

He hugged Tracey next, and then turned back to Matt who was getting up.

“What the fuck was that for?” he asked, wiping the blood from his nose.

“Uh… we’ll be up the stairs,” Tracey said. I hugged Axel once more.

“Don’t hurt him,” I whispered in his ear.

He nodded, and I followed Tracey.

“He’s going to kill you,” she said, as we sat waiting on my bed. I sat, waiting. Maybe this wasn’t such a good idea…

The door slammed open, and there stood a very pissed looking Axel.

“You lied to me?” he demanded, but I refused to look at him.

“Uh… I’ll give you a minute,” Tracey muttered, leaving the room.

“Why, Jody, why would you do that to me?” he asked.

“Because you all needed to learn that I’m sick of being treated like a baby,” I said quietly. I can feel the tears building up.

He sits beside me, and puts an arm around my shoulders. I turn my face into his shoulder and start to cry.

I hardly ever cry. I mean, sure, I do sometimes. Everyone does. But ever since I got my heart broken at the age of thirteen, I keep it in as much as possible. But when Axel comes, I let down my walls and let it all out. I don’t know what it is about him, but it happens every time I see him.

So after half an hour, I’ve sobbed myself out, apologised, been forgiven, and been hugged tightly enough times to last me a life time.

“Come on,” Axel said, standing up and leading me down the stairs, “Oh. Why aren’t you at school?”

I shrugged,

“I wanted to see you,” I said simply. He smiled, and we went into the kitchen.

“What the hell did you do to my kitchen?” I demanded of Matt, who looked sheepish.

“I was trying to make lunch…” he said. I sighed, and sat on one of the chairs.

“How’s New York?” I ask Axel, who grins.

“It’s awesome. You’d love it,”

I smile half-heartedly. I pick at my food, not hungry, and listen to their conversation. Or, at least, I try to.