Chapter 12

We were given 10 minutes to change into appropriate clothing for beach volleyball. Carla and I made our way to the changing rooms, which were plain gross.

People who had walked in here with sandy footwear had left behind trails of brown water everywhere. Some girls walked in and walked out almost instantly. Well, there was no way I was changing outside with Carla holding up a towel to cover me especially when we were in the middle of a prank war.

I didn't want to take any risks.

Sighing, I propped my bag up on the sink and pulled out my bikini. It was a simple white bandeau with a double strap bikini bottom. Wearing all white has never been the wisest option for me but it was one of my favourites.

"We should've just worn these in the morning," Carla said, struggling to pull her bikini out of her bag while preventing the rest of the things from spilling out and falling on the wet floor.

I nodded in agreement. "Yeah, well, we didn't have time."

"I wonder why," Carla said sarcastically while turning around to change. I did the same as I prayed to the heavens that she didn't bring up Seth. Sadly, the heavens enjoyed my misery because Seth was exactly what she brought up next. "Seth is such a jerk."

I didn't respond but I started changing faster. I already had my bottoms on and I was in the process of pulling my top over my head.

"Have you ever had an ex who's a complete ass?" she questioned.

Shutting my eyes, I took a deep breath. "No, not really."

"Lucky," she commented as I adjusted the bandeau. I thought the discussion ended there but no, she just had to continue. "Not going to lie, I thought we were going to get back together eventually but then he seems to have...moved on."

Finally, after avoiding eye contact with her for so long, my eyes flicked up to see her. Did she just say that I was getting in their way?

"Excuse me?" I said harshly.

"What?" Carla asked, stuffing her clothes in her bag. "Oh! No, I didn't mean it like that."

"Sure you didn't," I responded and grabbed my things, making my way out.

"Ava!" she called me. "I really didn't."

I continued walking until she fell into step beside me. "I didn't," she repeated herself.

"Okay," I said with a shrug.

Why is this bothering me so much? It's not like Seth likes me anyway. I don't know if anyone else noticed but it was pretty obvious he was still into Carla this morning. Whatever.

I glanced at Carla to see her dressed in a sexy black halter bikini with plain black bottoms. Her blonde hair was up in a messy bun, the sunlight making it look brighter. Without even trying, she looked pretty. I noticed she had slight abs, which suddenly made me feel cautious about myself. I was positive that I wasn't fat but that didn't mean I had a sexy body.

Okay, I was checking a girl out.

Putting my sunglasses on, I looked away. That was a mistake, too. Seth was standing a few feet away with a group of guys.

He looked good. Like really good.

He was shirtless with his trunks hanging low on his waist. He wasn't extremely muscular but he had enough muscle to make his physical appearance look appealing. His black hair, almost looking dark brown under the intense sunlight, was sticking out in different directions probably because he had pulled his shirt over his head. His soft brown eyes were covered with dark sunglasses.