Realization

Chapter 7

Realization

Kath's heart flutter upon knowing Daniel's arrival. It was a new feeling for her.

She wanted to see him right away. It took her an undeniable strength to control herself not to rush to the airport.

She was contemplating over her feeling for the past days when Daniel was not around.

She didn't realize those feelings when Daniel was still around. It's as if everything between them happens naturally.

The way she slowly finds herself caring and worrying about certain things that involves Daniel.

She just woke up one day realizing she wanted to personally take care of things for DJ like his breakfast, his coffee, making sure he gets to rest and eat on top of his busy schedule.

They were not close. DJ was still cold towards her. They would still quarrel over petty little things may it be at work, her behavior that he disliked, or at home.

But for some unknown reasons, those were the things she missed the most when he was gone.

And no matter how hard she think it over, she just can't help her self. She can name and enumerate things that she disliked about him but interestingly, she always find herself finding out more things she likes about him.

"I know it's not right, but I want to embrace this feeling while I still can.. " Kathryn sadly gave out a smile.

Just then Daniel walked past her office and walked briskly towards his office before closing his door without bothering looking her way.

Kath just followed Daniel's action with a curious eyes.

"Hmpt! He didn't even bother to check on me.."

"It's okay Kath, you should know by now, that's just what he is.." Kath consoled herself.

Kathryn didn't want to dwell much on what happened.

"Maybe he just had a rough flight, or maybe he's just tired.."

Kath came up with an idea..

"Aha, I'll prepare him his favorite coffee.. Maybe that should do the trick.." Kath smiled upon regaining a positive outlook.

So she went to the coffeemaker and fix his coffee just how she would normally prepare it for the past few months.

While stirring in some brown sugar to Daniel's coffee, she remembered something and it made her smile.

"Getting trap and spending overtime till past midnight in office was worth it after all."

She remembered how she almost spent the evening in the office while  perfecting her boss' coffee.

She knocked on his door twice before entering just like she always do.

She saw that Daniel was sitting on his swivel chair. She only saw his back. He was looking outside the window and not at her.

She hesitated to put the coffee at first.

"Uhm, I got you your coffee.. You seem to be not in the mood...." Kathryn waited for any response but got none.. so she continued.

"I know you're always not in the mood but today seems different.. Are you okay?"

"Just leave my coffee there and you can go.." Daniel's voice was firm.

Kath was stunned. It was natural for Daniel to be cold but she felt something different with him now.

After a few seconds, she gave up. She went out and returned to her desk.