A Trusting Instinct

It takes me a few minutes to process what's happening around me. Total chaos. I don't feel any guilt, not after what Rhea's done, but there is still a part of me that's worried about her actions and their reactions. She's gone now. It's too late for me to try and stop her.
I'm walking fast towards the staircase, when Ethan walks in my way.
-"Daniel. I need to talk to you about something."
-"Is it really urgent?"
I cut him off. I've never done that before, and he looks startled. I usually am ready to sacrifice all my time if that's what he needed. But I'm in a haste, in which I need him to come with me.
-"It is. But I guess it can wait."
-"Great. Come with me, will you?"
He follows me, as we enter my room.

It's all tidied up, the curtains are drawn and the glowing sunlight is illuminating every corner through the window. I grab my bag and throw it on the bed, and I start filling it with stuff, like, a notebook, a pencil case, a flashlight. And everything I judge necessary. Ethan is watching me.
-"I need you to come with me."
-"Where is it we're going, actually?"
-"Logan's. I need to get my sources clear."
-"I'm not coming close to this guy."
-"You need to. For me."
-"You don't understand, Daniel. I know things suck for you right now but Nate has been skipping work and he's barely sleeping. He might as well get fired. Diana's doing all the housework because mom and dad have never been busier. I've been running around taking care of technically everything in this house for what feels like an eternity now, and I really am exhausted. Just take a look at my desk and you will see how many tons of homework I still have to do."
-"Hey, wait. I know I-"
-"No. I'm not blaming you. We're all in this with you, but you have to understand that we also have a life to take control of. You never even asked why I wouldn't go to Logan's. You don't even know what my life has been like these past few weeks. You really have been passive on everything going on in here. We're with you because you're our brother. But just remember that blood is thicker than water."
-"Ethan, what are you talking about?"
-"I'm sick, Dan. It's getting worse."

I sit down on the bed and gesture to him to sit next to me. I can feel my eyes are watery, and Ethan's are a little more than that.

-"I thought it was going to be fine. But it's not. It's not getting better."

I'm dazzled. It's Ethan we're talking about.
-"Don't worry. I'm not afraid. I will make it, I've always been a fighter and you know that. So just-"
I shush him. Tears are scrolling down his cheeks and that's the first time i see these in more than four or five years. I open my arms and lock them around his shoulders. How could I have been blind to the needs of the people who have been answering all of mine?
I can feel Ethan's chest heaving and dropping quickly; and his heartbeat is unaltered. His tears are wetting my shirt but I'm giving him all the warmth he needs to feel better.
-"You don't have to come with me. Just stay at home, take the day off school tomorrow. I'll take care of everything. And whatever you're feeling, call me immediately. We'll talk about everything when I come back."
He lifts up his head and looks at me. He's half smiling.
-"I will. You're the best."
-"I'll be what you need me to be."

I stand up and prepare myself to leave.
-"Oh, and one more thing."
He nods.
-"I'm sorry."

I don't wait for his answer. I just get out of the room and close the door behind me.

I don't have to explain anything to anyone downstairs. I just open the front door and get out. In a few seconds, I'm knocking on Logan's door.

Mrs. Blackburn opens the door; a tall, elegant figure is standing in front of me, with her long dark wavy hair and traits that mark her face, showing that she had been even prettier many years ago.
-"Hello, Daniel dear."
-"Good morning, Mrs. Blackburn."
I'm just starting to ask her about Logan when he appears on the staircase, cold as ever. "I'll take it from here, mom."
She smiles at me and returns to the kitchen.
-"Come in."