A Question of Trust

Jasper. Rhea and Logan.
And I'm supposed to cope with all of these just right now, as I'm standing next to Laurel, who's soon gonna be at Rhea's, who just made out with Logan, who had invited her and Jasper to do God knows what in his home. Great.

I'm not just thinking about what happened in this instant; but about what's gonna happen next. Who should I talk to first? What's gonna happen when Laurel's at Rhea's? In normal times, I would trust Rhea with my life. But she just spent a whole evening with the one person I'm supposed to hate the most. And for the record, she didn't even come and visit. Which means she was there the whole day.

I'm upset, because I thought better of her. Julian crossed the whole town to be there when I woke up and now he's grounded because he did. And Laurel's sleeping over at Rhea's just so she could have stayed with me late at night. Yet Rhea doesn't even ask. I understand she must be overwhelmed with what's happened between her and Logan (which I know nothing about); but she could have showed some concern, that would be the least of things.

Rhea's already ahead of us, walking towards his home; and Jasper's walking the opposite direction, hands in his pockets. But i'm blaming Jasper. I blame him for everything bad that has ever happened. Even Padfoot's death.

I take hold of this opportunity; make sure Laurel gets to Rhea's home, then I'm running and I'm ignoring the pain in my leg, towards Jasper. I can still see him. He's taking a detour, but I follow, right until I'm ahead of him. And I stop and stand in his way.
My voice surprises me. I never expected it to be that loud. And that ferocious.
-"What's that all about?"
-"Hey Daniel, how's your leg?"
-"What were you doing at Logan's?"
-"I'd rather be talking about something else."

He's quoting me. I'm irritated.
-"Fine. Then talk. I want you to explain everything: every single action you've made, and every reason behind it. I'm tired of playing games."
-"I'm not playing games. Actually, I'm being really, really serious." He puts a hand on a fresh scar right below his eye. Must be one of those I caused punching him. But I feel no remorse. Only satisfaction. It's like I'm having my own revenge.

But I stop for a moment. What am I seeking revenge for ?

-"Then let's be serious for a while. What is it you're planning?"
-"So Laurel hasn't told you yet. I thought you shared everything."
-"She told me many things. But i need an explanation."
-"If she told you what you ought to know, you wouldn't be here talking to me; specially not about that. You'd be minding your own business."
-"You came to me. You followed me to the graveyard. You tried to make me listen to you. But I didn't. Now I'm here and I'm ready to listen."
-"But I'm not ready to talk. You lost your chance. Now I don't want to listen to you, and I don't want to start another fight."
-"Yeah. If I were you, I'd prefer to keep some remains to that face of yours too."

He doesn't answer. He just smirks.

-"You told me you were my friend. Was there a reason for this reminder or you just felt the need to bring up the past?"
-"That wasn't the only truth I told you, and I had more truths to say; but you turned your back on me. People who turn their backs on me aren't considered "friends."

This is escalating. I'm getting angry.
And adrenaline is rushing. But I won't do anything stupid; not this time.

-"I don't care about being your friend; but you're not my enemy. I was trying to convince myself of that."
-"I'm not following. You were trying to convince yourself of -what?"
-"That you're not my enemy."
-"I'm not your enemy."
-"That i'm not your enemy either."
-"You're not my enemy either."
-"Then what are we?"
-"Old friends with some unfinished business. What do you say?"
-"I'm not saying anything before I know what this unfinished business is all about."
-"Then I guess we're done here. It was great talking to you."