Chapter Six - Always Something To Live For

Chapter six – Always Something To Live For

~~

"M-Michael," my voice takes on a worried tone, "No, put the gun away ... please."

He laughs straight in my face – but not with a happy laugh, no. It's more of a mocking laugh, one that implies that my words are having no effect on him. He's worrying me now; he's suicidal.

"Tell me one good reason why I shouldn't just shoot right now," he demands.

His hand is shaking violently, his finger hovering over the trigger. I can tell that he's scared of dying, but he's adamant on doing so anyway.

"Because there's always something to live for," I answer weakly.

He looks down at the river below him, spotting his reflection in the water.

"What do I have to live for now, huh?" he questions. Then, he turns violent. "What else have I got to live for?!"

Taken aback by his sudden outburst, I swallow nervously, stepping back a little to avoid being too close to him. He's beginning to scare me, now. Tears start to form in my eyes, and I reach my right hand out towards him slowly.

"M-Me!" My voice gives out, "I thought it was me, Michael! ... "

A single tear rolls down his cheek, and I can see the genuine guilt for his previous words creeping in, just by the look on his face. However, he keeps the gun in place, his finger still hovering over the trigger. He remains completely silent too, so I decide to speak further, to persuade him not to shoot.

"Look ... Michael. I know that you're in an awf—a truly awful situation, having no family, but ... I don't want you to take your life. I've needed a friend for so long, and you have, too ... "

I clear my throat quietly, while he processes what I've just said.

"Michael ... don't you remember, "Forever and a half"? ... "

He closes his eyes, and another tear escapes from each eye as he does so. He tilts his head down towards the ground, before parting his lips slightly and sighing almost silently. Then, in an almost defeated-sounding tone of voice, he mutters:

"Forever and a half ... "

"That's right, Michael. And what does "Forever and a half" signify?" I ask.

"That's how long we're going to be friends for ... " he murmurs.

"Exactly," I force a smile onto my face just as he looks at me, "That's how long we're going to be friends for. We can't be friends if you end your life."

"Then come with me," he suddenly says.

"Come with you?" I repeat.

"Yeah," he confirms, "Why don't you come with me? We can go see my family together."

"Wha—" I suddenly realise what he's trying to say, "No, Michael! I can't do that."

He must really be in a bad place if he's trying to end my life as well as his own. This whole situation is really getting into his head, for sure.

"Why?" he cries out. "What else do either of us have to live for!"

"I have a father, Michael. And I also have a life to live. We're only given one life, and I intend to live it to the fullest."

"The fullest?" he scoffs, "Please! The fullest would be with a family, a job, a life ... the list goes on! On and on for infinity! And what do I have? Nothing!"