He Took Me Home

It's funny how things work out. When everything rearranges itself for you, your head just clogs up and all the things that you're dealing with just melts away- well, sometimes. When the dreams you have finally reveal themselves and the path becomes clear, your life just opens up. What no one tells you is that the yellow brick road never reveals itself without a few pebbles to trip you up- or boulders to block your way. But enough of the metaphors. Here's my story.

My name is Abigail Malkin. No, my first name is not Russian but I'll explain that in a moment. I am technically Canadian, I was born in Canada but I was adopted by a Russian family when I was in infancy and grew up in Russia. You probably know my family. My father Vladamir and my mother Natalia, and my two brothers, Denis and Evgeni. Evgeni Malkin, who is a star hockey player onthe Pittsburg Penguin.

I grew up learning the language of Russian but my mother insisted on me learning English as well. It was so supported of an idea that I'm not even sure what I would consider my first language. My mother wanted me to learn English because she believed that one day I would want to return to Canada. Perhaps she thought I would want to visit my birth parents or that I would want to be surrounded by my roots at some point. She didn't want me to be limited if and when I decided to visit my birth place. She knew, I would want to go back- mothers always know.

And she was right- I did want to return to Canada- but not for the reasons she thought I did. When I turned eighteen and finished school, I realised something I hadn't before- that I had never been in love. I'd gone through the first 18 years of my life without so much as a crush. I never really knew why either, it's not like I didn't want it- I did. But no one here sparked my interest.

So I want to go home. I want to see if I can fall in love with a Canadian boy. Somewhere in my young and naive brain, I believe that maybe that might be possible.

When I told my Mama, she cried. She wept heavily sighing and saying that she knew this day would come. It really upset me to see her so sad that I wanted to leave but I needed to figure some things out. I felt so alone, even with her relentless love.

She didn't give birth to me but my Mama never made me feel any different than Evgeni or Denis, even when Evgeni was drafted to the NHL and began his new life in America. She always told me she chose me because from the moment she saw my picture, she knew I was meant for her. She knew that I was the little girl she was looking for- one she could never have on her own after complications with Evgeni and Denis.

I pulled my Mama into an embrace and let her weep into my shoulder. She snivelled softly called my name, as if I was already leaving her just that second. She murmured "My baby girl" into my shoulder as I rubbed her back and made calm, soothing noises.

Finally she lifted her head and looked me in the eyes tearfully, "I need to know you will be safe, North America is different than Russia," she sniffed as I dabbed tears from her puffy red eyes.

"Yes, I know,"I said softly, "But if Evgeni can do it, so can I," I smiled at her. Her eyes suddenly brightened like an idea had come to her.

"Evgeni! Of course! You can go stay with Evgeni! He will keep you safe and he can take you to Canada when hockey is over!" she smiled widely and even though I was a little disappointed I wouldn't be going straight to Canada, I agreed to amend Mama's suffering. We made plans immediately and I was to leave the next week.

That day came quicker than I'd ever thought and before I could blink I was loading everything I packed onto the plane, my suitcases, and my hockey bag were put on the conveyor belt and I slung my carry-on over my shoulder. When I turned around to say goodbye once more to my family I was engulfed in another of Denis' bear hugs.