Meeting The Boys

The boys, who introduced themselves as James Neal and Kris Letang sat in the back seat of Evgeni's truck while I sat in the front with my puppy in my lap, chatting away with Evgeni in Russian.

"How is the team doing Evgeni?" I asked with a smile, playing with my sleeping puppy's floppy ears. She snored lightly as I stroked her soft fur.

"Have you not been following my team on tv anymore Little One? Not my biggest fan anymore?" he teased, I smiled and looked away in mock shame, he continued "We've been winning and we're expecting to make it to the playoffs this year," He was grinning like a fool, obviously very happy to talk to someone in his native language, he often told us that English was very annoying and confusing of a language and when we spoke he'd ask me what certain phrases and words meant. I was happy to help him out and it was entertaining- to say the least. 

We talked for a while about hockey and his friends and his house, he noticeably dodged my questions about meeting girls here. He was never quite comfortable talking bout that sort of thing with me, Denis was always telling me about his feminine conquests, but Geno kept to himself. I don't think he thought I was ready for that sort of thing. 

I cradled my puppy like a baby, her belly up as I pet her fur smooth. She didn't stay awake long once we got into the car. I was already falling in love with her as she twitched and shifted every now and then. I could hear my brother's throaty chuckle, as he was clearly watching me gaze lovingly down at her. I didn't look up but whispered to him, "I love her," and he half smiled.

Then my brother cleared his throat and said, "So, Little One, what is your real reason for coming here? Because I know it's not sight seeing and root digging like Mama said it was,"

I looked at him, "You see right through me Evgeni," he smirked,  I tried to find the words to explain, "Things at home have been great, they're just not quite- full," I said shakily, struggling to find the right way to say it.

"Full?" he asked with a confused expression. He glanced over at me before turning his attention back to the road. 

I nodded, "You never had trouble like I have in the- well ya know- love department,"

His entire body stiffened and he sucked in a breath. There was a moment of silence before he spoke quietly, "You're not a lesbian- are you?" he asked incredulously like I was crazy.

My mouth flew open and I turned to him, "Would it be so horrible if I was?" I pressed him, rather offended for no apparent reason. I wasn't a lesbian, but somehow he'd made it sound like a bad thing if I were, like he would love me less. Love is love; the way I saw it. 

He shifted uncomfortably, "Well- no but- that isn't what I meant- I just-" he lost his capability of even speaking Russian. 

I decided to let him off the hook, my eyes returning to the safety of Bagira so I didn't have to look at him during this strange conversation.  "No Geno, I'm not a lesbian. " I paused, speaking softly, "I just have never been with anyone before and I wanted to know what it would be like to-"

"Oh don't tell me things like that!" he cut me off loudly, hands lifting off the steering wheel for a moment to cover his ears. My eyes widened and I realised my mistaken wording and how it sounded like something rather risque'. 

"Evgeni!" I interjected and my puppy stirred and Kris and James jumped in the back, all of which I ignored as I stared at my cringing brother. I could feel my cheeks reddening and my ears ready to explode in complete embarrassment.  "I-I didn't mean for it to sound like that I just-"