Chapter 2-First Fight

"So.....Here we are at the fight table." Kurosawa started "Now before I begin, I want to tell you something about Vanguard."

"What is it?" Hikaru asked while taking his deck out

"Vanguard is actually a game that is based on your imagination." Kurosawa continued "The flow of the fight, your opponent's psychology, and even the outcome of the battle, it all rests on your imagination."

"I see." Came the reply

"Alright then, let's go. First off, you must imagine, that we are now astral bodies transported to Planet Cray, a planet very much similar to Earth. We are powerless so we will make use of the power granted by our Vanguards." Kurosawa said "The word Vanguard means-"

"The one who leads the way." Hikaru continued

"Yup. Now place a Grade 0 unit that has no symbols on their top-right corner. This will be our Vanguard." Kurosawa said "Now shuffle your deck and draw the top five cards of your deck. If you don't like your current hand, you may return and redraw as many cards as you like. Only once though."

They did as told as after that got into a ready position.

"Alright now, let's begin. We will both flip the face-down card to face-up and say 'Stand up, Vanguard!' at the same time."

"Alright." Hikaru replied

"Stand up, Vanguard" they both said and flipped over the face-down card face-up

"Rising Lionet" Kurosawa's spirit turned into a Beast covered in black armor

"Shining Knight, Millius" Hikaru's spirit turns into a knight which wields a lance.

"To make it easier for me to explain, I'll take the first turn. At the begining of every turn, you must draw a card." Kuroswa explain "Then, after we draw, we will proceed to the ride phase. During this phase, we may put a unit that is a grade higher than your previous Vanguard. This is called 'Ride'."

"I see." Hikaru said

"Now then, I will ride Knight of Elegant Skills, Gareth(Grade 1, Power 8000)."

The beast turned into a knight clad in gold armor and wields a
sword.

"After that, we'll move on to the call phase. During this phase, we can summon units that are of smaller grade or equal grade. I call Player of the Holy Axe, Nimue (Grade 1 Power 7000)"

A red-haired girl wielding an axe appeared beside Gareth

"Well then, now we'll move on to the attack phase. But...since I went first, I cannot attack, so I end my turn."

"Alright then, its my turn. Draw. I ride Lunar Cresent Knight, Felax (Grade 1, Power 8000).
A knight with a shield and a sword appeared replacing Millius

"Millius' skill, I'll move him behind Felax."
The young knight appears at the behind Felax

"So, now I should attack correct?"

"Yup, and to declare an attack, you will have to place your unit horizontally. This is called a rest position." Kurosawa explained "You can also use the grade 0 unit behind you to boost your attacking unit's power to increase your unit's attacking power. Oh right, before I forget, you can only boost units with units that are grade 0 or 1."

"Okay..." Hikaru said "Then, with the boost from Millius, Felax will attack your Vanguard!!! (Power 13000)"

"No guard." Came Kurosawa's reply. "When you attack, you may reveal the top card for a trigger. This is called a Drive Check."