Chapter 10- The Cast comes off

*Jacob's POV*

The rest of the first week of school, seemed to drag on forever. I only had homeroom and lunch with Hannah which made things even more dreadfully slow than ever. But for those brief thirty minutes, I was loss in all consuming bliss. Hannah made everything feel, okay, even when I knew things weren't.

"Jacob? Jacob! Pay attention." My math teacher snapped her bony fingers in front of my face.

I shook my head and hissed. " I am."

"Oh really?" She placed her wrinkly hands on her hips and cocked a drawn on eye brow. " Then you must have hear them buzz you to the front office." I rolled my eyes and snapped my binder shut. I stuffed everything into my book bag, and snatched my crutches off the floor. The teacher held open the door, and I flashed a fake smile and quickly made my escape from the class room. She slammed the door behind me and  continuing teaching.

I was standing hunched over crutches in the middle of a empty hallway, smiling. I turned the opposite way of the office and headed down the hallways toward the art building. It took longer than I except to get out of the math building, but when I got a glimpse of her hair pinned in a perfect bun on top of her head, my heart began to race inside my chest.

She was intently sketching something on a large canvas, her green eyes narrowed and focusing on what ever she was drawing. For a brief moment I felt as if I could watch her draw forever. Hannah rubbed the small of her back, as she straighten her self out.  She brushed a bead of sweat off her forehead with the back of her hand, leaving a small lead mark. She dropped her pencil and dusted off her hands. She gave a brilliant smile and laughed as a girl across from her said something. That's when I caught myself smiling.

What am I doing? I'm not suppose to be feeling like this. I'm not suppose to be happy, after everything I've done and the hurt I caused? Happy is the last thing I should be feeling. I quickly ducked away from the door and gradually made my way to the front office.

"Here is Mrs.Swit." The lady at front desk smiled and nodded toward my mother.

"Jesus Jacob, could you have moved any slower? Today is the day you get that cast off, and your taking your sweet time!" I could tell my mother was aggravate with me, just by the way she ignored me as I tried to slid into her car.

"You've been complaining for the past three months about that cast, now we're going to be late!" My mother peeled out of the parking lot. I gripped the door handle tighter and spoke through clenched teeth.

"I'm sorry! It takes me a while to get anywhere you know." She eyed me and pointed a finger at me.

"Listen, I had to leave work early for you, once again. So you better be happy, cause I didn't have to drive you." I rolled my eyes.

"Whatever mom." I popped my head phone into my ears and sunk deeper into the leather seats and lost myself in the music. I couldn't blame my mother for being so angry at me, this was all my fault, but for some strange reason it hurt more than normal.

I closed my eyes and drifted in and out, until I felt my mother shaking me. " Wake up Jacob, we are already fifteen minutes late." My mom yanked open the passenger door and shoved  my crutches into my face. I rubbed my eyes, and removed the head phones.

"I'll be inside signing you in, hurry up!" My mother quickly made her way into the hospital, leaving me alone in the parking lot. I gave a annoyed sigh and slipped my book bag off my shoulders. I steady myself on my crutches and took a deep breath. This would be the last time I would be on crutches. Ever since the accident, there had been no real set date to get the cast off. I had shattered my ankle and it took two surgeries to put everything back in place.