Chapter 3

We went into the living room after cleaning up the mess that Christian made with the whipped cream. It took quite some time since he somehow managed to get some on the ceiling.

Mr and Mrs Fairfax were sitting in the room reading the morning paper. I greeted them which made Mr Fairfax look up from his paper offering me a sweet smile.

"Gooooood Morning dear." Mrs Fairfax chirped. The both of them were really warm and loving which explains why I'm so close to the both of them. In fact, I think of them as my second parents.

"So, what are you guys up to today?" Mrs Fairfax said looking towards her children.

"The usual stay at home routine." Ruth said while turning the tv on.

"Can't say the same. I'm headed to Ed's in a bit" Christian said cutting in. My head turned to him. I didn't know he was planning to go out. I mean it's not like he's obliged to tell me. What am I doing. He can go anywhere he wants without telling me. It's not like he's my boyfriend or anything. I was so busy with my inner battle not noticing he was talking to me until he mentioned my name.

He was looking at me expectantly, waiting for my reply.

"Sorry was lost in thoughts. What did you say?"

"I could tell." He shook his head smiling. "I said, wanna come along?"

I didn't have the time to reply before Ruth stood up declaring that the both of us were going. I didn't mind going. I actually really like Eddie. He's Christian's best friend and one of the few who treats me nicely.

I met him at a party Christian's friend, Bobby threw two years ago. I remember not wanting to go but was persuaded by Ruth saying that her social life would be ruined if she didn't attend the most talked about party. I really love her but times like this makes it so impossible not to hate her.

Parties just wasn't my thing. Being me, all I wanted to do was stay at home, reading my all time favorite book, Jane Eyre. That wasn't going to happen now that I would have to attend the party.

Ruth prepared a dress for me but I'm never confident enough to wear anything else than a pair of matching sweatshirt and sweatpants. These were the only things that looked anywhere to being good on me.

"Awe come on Lizzy, it'll look nice on you." It was a red dress that had lace wrapped round my arms till my elbows. Exactly the type of dress I wouldn't wear especially since it was red in color which attracts attention. This was the precise opposite of what I wanted.

"You know I can't wear this Ruth" dropping the dress on Ruth's bed.

"Oh don't be absurd Lizzy. You can't expect me to just let you wear one of your matching sweatshirt and sweatpants to a party." she picked the dress up handing it back to me. "

Well maybe you should let me stay at home and not attend this party Ruth" groaning.

"Just wear the dress please Lizzy Wizzy. For meeee" while blinking her eyes the way she usually does when she wants something.

" Ugh fine but I hate you." Ruth just offered a big smile.

I'll just stand in a corner somewhere and try not to make myself noticeable.

I followed Ruth down the stairs hearing Christian's impatient call for us. I felt really nervous knowing he'll see me in this dress. I finally reached the last stair and saw him sitting on the sofa typing away on his phone when he looked up.

He eyed me from the top to bottom and what he said next made me want the floor to swallow me.

"You're wearing that?" I didn't know what to say and just stood there quietly when suddenly Ruth came to save me from the awkward silence.