Chapter 13

Ding Dong!

"I'll get it." Rushing to the front door. I shook my head lightly remembering I was alone at home. Mum and dad went out to settle some of my transfer matters and the maids were probably in their rooms.

I was hesitant in opening the door since I wasn't expecting anyone especially on a Sunday morning. Mum and Dad couldn't be back so early. My hand rested on the doorknob. I inhaled a deep breath and braced myself.

"Lizzzzzyyyyy." Ruth's voice shrieking through my eardrums. She threw her arms around me. Jaice was standing behind her raising his hand casually at me.

"Ruth, Jaice. What are you doing here?"

Ruth untangled herself from me. Making her way to the living room. Jaice did the same and welcomed himself in my home. I rolled my eyes smiling at them.

"What do you mean?" She dropped her body on the couch staring at the ceiling. "I'm here to make sure my best friend is alright."

"Well as you can see, I'm still in one piece. Except for my heart." I said shrugging at her.

Ruth's eyes set on me with guilt. "Oh Liz. I don't know why he would ever do such a thing. I'm so sorry."

She got up and came closer to me. Jaice was rubbing his hand behind my back.

"I will understand completely if you don't want to be friends with me anymore. I hate him for doing that to you. I can't imagine what it's like to be in your shoes. If I was you I wouldn't even talk to me."

Her eyes were watery now. She said it so genuinely that it made my heart pain. There was no way I would ever feel that way towards her. Christian might had broken our friendship but my relationship with her won't falter just because of him. I was so angry that he made Ruth feel this way towards me.

"Ruth. I will never stop being friends with you. Not now, not even when I'm..."

My words trailed off remembering that I haven't told them about my transfer. Jaice quickly noticed that I didn't finish my sentence.

"Liz. I'm definitely sure that's not the end of your sentence."
Jaice was looking at me quizzically.

I rubbed the bridge of my nose while closing my eyes. This was not the way I wanted them to find out. I drew out a long breath and stared at the both of them. I couldn't do it. I didn't have it in me to tell them.

"Liz?"

Her voice was gentle and curious. I turned around to see her staring at the snack I have thrown out yesterday. Her eyes snapped at me with concern.

"You never throw out your snacks. Not even when you saw Bertha with him in his room."

I tried blinking the tears away. Ruth looked into my eyes searching for an answer. She looked hurt.

"Why? Don't you trust me anymore?" I felt like trash when I heard the accusation in her voice. Her glassy orbs were looking at me.

I was now biting my bottom stopping the cry that was adamant on coming out. I wanted to tell her that I trusted her more than anyone despite everything that has happened. She was my only friend. The only one who's been there for me through it all. My saviour. My comfort. My best friend.

We both stood there. Tears dripping from our cheeks. I moved closer to her wanting to hug her but she brushed me off.

"Why won't you tell me Liz? I am not like the rest of them."

She was now shouting at me. Her eyes red from crying. I shook my head at her not saying anything just sobbing. I couldn't tell her about the transfer. I couldn't part with her. She took my silence as an answer to her question. Her body stiffened.