Chapter 6

Eric's POV

I'm furious.

More than furious.

Like, is it that hard to follow a simple rule? No running by yourself, keep living, take care and don't run into your death. I think it's all in our nature to survive and stay alive. I think.

"How is she?", Giselle's soft voice interrupted my inner turmoil. She brought a blue water basin with a rag to compress Roxanne, who is unconscious on her bed.

"Still alive, unfortunately. Ow!", Giselle smacked me hard on the back of my head, my poor head. Now I'm gonna get stupider than this.

"Watch your mouth young lady!" She chided me.

"Sorry, no can do. Give me a mirror maybe?"

"What for?"

"Duh! Do you think I can see my mouth?", I rolled my eyes. Maybe she will rewards me with more smacks on my head, but at this point, I don't care anymore. Giselle just glared at me and giving me a heavy sigh before she turns around and walk towards the connecting doors, leaving me and Roxanne alone. Sudden wave of guilt hit me like a tidal wave as I see Giselle's back. Granted, I'm the most unpleasant person everyone could meet. The fact that making Giselle angry is nearly impossible is just makes me feel guiltier. 

Back seeing Rox's unconscious face, I feel so useless. I should have kept an eye on her when we're outside. Her reckless attitude always comes out at most dangerous situation. I should have run after her immediately, not scared with the whole ghost thing. I'm such a coward! Not to mention that it's my idea to venture down the streets at night.

"NO! PLEASE! PLEASE DON'T!", the voice rang through the air, chill went up my spine and my eyes widen. My feet seems to be nailed shut to the ground when Roxanne starts sprinting towards the source of the voice.

"Roxanne! Stop!", Jean is shouting beside me, hoping that it will knock some sense to Rox who already running. I need to chase her! Jean is not fast enough to catch her.

My legs still won't move and I begin to panic. Come on! It's not the time to hide in fear!

MOVE! Roxanne already far ahead!

DAMN IT! MOVE! Stumbling my steps, I began to take a steady steps and then running. Chasing Roxanne like my life depended on her.

I navigate through the city, spotting Roxanne beside the barber shop.

Strange. Why is she not moving? She just stand there, gazing to the front. I can't see her face nor what she see, I was at her back. Slowly, I take a tentative step towards her, I scan the scene. If the fact that the lady is floating and fading slowly is not scary, I don't know what will be scary anymore.

"AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!"

The erupted scream stopped me on my tracks as much as seeing the ghost lady enclosed the distance between her and Roxanne. Roxanne started to lose her balance due to shock, and my feet move fast enough to catch her--

"Hng...", a low mumbling sound pulling me back to reality. Roxanne is stirring on her bed, starting to wake up. I let out a long sigh, grateful that she seems to be okay. No visible scars and not attacked physically by the ghost. Believe me, the fingers laid on the pavement are not a good view to watch. It's just gross, even for me who have seen a lot of corpse.

Roxanne is blinking, adjusting her eyes to the lights of the room before she focuses her eyes on me.

"How long have I been out?" Her voice cracked up.

"About three hours," I replied, giving her a cup of water to soothe her throat. She seems to process what happens before she asked again. She sit up and gulp down the water, sounding her relief.

"How do I get here?"

"I'm carrying you of course. It's a lot of work and I'm not going to chase after you again next time. You need to control your recklessness." I said as she plopped down her bed again.

"Oh Eric, you always said that after I make some mistakes. You're not going to leave me because you love me." Her usual smile graced her lips, a sign that she is alright. Not fully, but at least she'll survive.

"Yeah you're right. Sometimes I hate the fact that you're my bestfriend." I'm trying so hard to hide my smile at this point, which usually ends up with my derpy face. She laugh silently seeing my face. I can't help but smile widely at her laugh. Making someone you love happy and smiling is the best feeling.

"Where are the others? We should get back there and see what's happen." Roxanne starts to get up.

"No! Stay there!" I command and pushing her back to the bed.

"But..."

"No buts. You're gonna stay here and rest. You'll need it. We need it. Just postpone it until tomorrow."

Then, she shuts her mouth. She knows better than to defend her opinion to go back to the scene. I can burst out all of my sarcasms if she obliviate my order at this point.

"Okay, we better look at the notes we have." She tries to negotiate. Seeing that it's good enough, I nod.

"I'm gonna call up Jean and Giselle." I said standing up. I stride towards the connecting doors, and seeing Giselle is busy reading her novel and Jean who is already prepared to get her slumber.

"Girls", their attention aiming at me at once. "She's up--"

Before I finish my line, Jean is already running towards Rox who is busy searching for her notes and leaving me with Giselle.

To be honest, it's a little bit awkward. But nothing good comes out from proscrasination.

"Sorry for before," I voiced my feelings. Fidgeting a little when seeing her sceptical look, probably thinking about whether to accept my apologize or not. She smiled at me few minutes later and pat me on my back. She is sauntering towards the bed and plop her ass down the bed beside her.

Roxanne is studying the notes that she took from the mansion. It looks more like documentaries though.

Anyhow I wonder how could she bring such amount of documentaries that is already dusty and thick in her small bag.

This night ended just like that. It's nice though seeing that we're still alive and worst yet to come.