Chapter 2: A Calm Moment To Contemplate

Etho went into the Elusive Chicken, walking up to the small bar.

"Another job, Etho?" The man behind the bar asks, his kind blue eyes having a knowing look.

"You know it." Etho replies as a frosted mug is placed in front of him.

"What is it this time?"

Etho takes a drink from the glass, letting the beer roll over his tongue.

"It's a two week job, guy by the name of Nebris Ray."

"Shit... that guys serious Etho, you better be careful."

"Had a run in with him before, Beef?"

"Yeah, the thief stole a bunch of gold and jewels from my safe."

"It's no big deal, I am a ninja after all" Etho says cheekily

"You say that every time.... Remember last time you said that?"

"This is different, that was a group of thieves, this is one man. I'm positive I can handle it"

"Just be careful, Etho, don't let him get to you."

"I will...."

"When do you start?"

"Tomorrow."

"You staying here or heading to the loft?"

"I think I'll stay here, the lofts a bit far to travel tonight."

A key is set on the counter in front of Etho.

"Same room as usual."

"Thanks" Etho says, standing up, leaving some gold coins on the counter, and heading towards the stairs.

Etho climbed the many sets of stairs, making it to the top floor where his room was.

He went out to the small balcony, sitting on the wood fencing that surrounded the edges.

The city looked weird at night. It was dark and mysterious, unlike the bright cheeriness it has during the day.

Beef was one a close friend of his, and the group he worked for. It worried Etho that Beef was warning him about Nebris, a guy he hadn't managed to run into yet. which is hard to believe, seeing as he'd had a lot of assignments in this town.

He'd moved here from a big city in the east earlier in the year. His new boss, RB, was strict, always having a new assignment for him.

She'd also provided him with all new tools, a whole new life. He'd found his place in this city, it was slowly becoming what felt like home.

He let his gaze linger on his targets house. It was a big two story mansion that took up two or three spots. The house was built out of stone bricks and dark wood logs.

He would be staying there for two weeks, trying to learn everything and anything he could about Nebris.

He thought back to the note RB had left for him. He was supposed to do anything he had to, to complete his job.

He knew exactly what that meant. He had done it before, managed to get close to someone, convince them that they loved him. Got them to be close enough to trust him.

He'd done it to many people, but there was one that specifically stuck out. A man by the name of Seth Bling.

It was back before he left his previous town. His old boss, EZ, had given him a final task. He had to assassinate Seth within a week and he was ordered to do anything necessary.

Seth was almost immediately attracted to him, which made the job that much easier.

After three days, Etho took him in bed, acting as if he was actually making love to Seth and not just going through the motions.

In the after glow, Seth had fallen asleep, and Etho injected poison into his neck, then slipped away into the night, leaving town.

Etho headed back into the room, closing the balcony doors behind him, many thing plaguing his thoughts, but mostly the job ahead.