Chapter 13: A Realization

Nebris nervously walked into the Elusive Chicken, hoping Beef would know where Etho was.

"Hi Nebris, what can I do for ya?" Beef asks as Nebris approaches the bar.

"Do you know where Etho is?" Nebris asks, biting his bottom lip "we need to talk"

Beef gives Nebris a questioning look "he's on the top floor, just be gentle, he's really hurting right now"

Nebris nods, making his way up the stairs.

With each step he took, his heart picked up pace. He was so worried and nervous.

Eventually he stopped outside of an old wooden door on the top floor. He had a feeling of dread, like everything would come crashing down.

But, he pushed that all aside and knocked.

"Come in" Nebris hears from an emotionless sounding Etho.

He made his into the room, closing the door behind him.

The second he saw Etho, his heart dropped. Etho had bandages on both wrists. His face was red from crying and his eyes were emotionless and hazy.

Nebris couldn't help but run over to Etho and throw his arms around him, hugging him tightly.

"I'm... I'm so sorry Etho.... I'm so so sorry. I love you so much" Nebris says, feeling himself slowly breaking down.

For all the anger, sadness, and betrayal he had felt, the pure love he felt for Etho overcame that.

Etho hesitantly wraps his arms around Nebris, resting his head on his shoulder, letting the tears fall freely, finally, that spark of hope back.

"Are... are we good now?" Etho eventually asks, lifting head up off of Nebris' shoulder.

"Yeah... I think we are" Nebris replies "if you tell me what happened" Nebris adds, gesturing to Etho's wrists.

"Last night... I... I had a break down and I wasn't thinking straight and I cut myself"

Nebris hadn't realized he'd caused that much pain to Etho

"I'm... I'm so sorry, Etho. I hate that I've caused you so much pain"

"But... I've cause you a lot of pain too, and I'm sorry."

"Lets let the past be the past"

"Yeah, but, just know, it hurt me too when I killed him"

Nebris looks at Etho incredulously, but lets it slide. He was just happy to have Etho back.

After everything had calmed down, and the two were back at Nebris' house, Nebris recalled something.

"Etho.... didn't you say you were an assassin?"

"Yeah....."

"Wait.... then.... that means...." It hit Nebris on why Etho was actually there

"I'm not going to kill you Nebris, I can't."

"Can't?"

"I love you, Nebris. There's no way I could hurt you. Ever."

"Isn't it like your job, though?"

"Yes.... I technically have one day to complete it."

"What'll happen if you don't?"

"RB will come after me, most likely. I'd be defying the order, treachery, really."

"Who's RB?"

"The head mistress."

"What does she look like?" Nebris asks skeptically.

"She's kinda short, has short, shaggy, orange hair, and blue eyes. she generally wears a dark blue overcoat, though she does have a dark red one."

Nebris gasps, as the realization hits him, all the small details coming together, all the puzzle pieces finally creating a bigger picture.

~A dark red cloak and blue eyes was all Nebris could remember~

~"She had orange hair and blue eyes, though I never knew her name"~

"That bitch" Nebris growls, all the pent up anger and sadness bubbling through him.

"Whoa... what?"

"She's the one that killed my parents and took my sister. She's the one that brought Seth here, just to have you kill him."

".... But she didn't give me the mission... EZ did"