(17) Second Guessers Always Win

Second Guessers Always Win . . .

"How come I can't come over today," Shay asked again once I parked in front of her house.

I bit the inside of my cheek and forced my eyes not to roll to the top of the car. "Because," I said, straining myself not to sound harsh. "My mom and I are going shopping."

"Oooooh, I wanna come," she squealed bouncing in her seat. "Your mom won't mind!"

". . . Grocery shopping."

"Oh." She remained in the car and I groaned internally.

"Get outta my damn car!"

I didn't seriously say that. I remained silent, gripping the steering wheel a little too tightly. Before it became too obvious I loosened my death grip and sighed.

"Can you sit with us at lunch tomorrow," she asked curiously. "I was looking for you guys today so you could sit with us but I didn't see you or Kayla."

"Who is 'us'?"

"Gabe and I . . . maybe some of his friends," she said and shrugged. "So can you? And remind Kayla when she wakes up," she said glancing in the backseat at a sleeping Kayla.

"Yeah, sure," I said, unable to stop my eyes from rolling that time.

"You promise," she questioned, her right hand hesitating on the door handle. "It doesn't feel right without you guys."

I gave a smug look and nodded. "Yeah, we'll sit with you."

She smiled widely and finally got out of the car. "See you guys in the morning then!" Slamming the door shut she basically skipped to her house.

I drove off glancing in my rearview mirror to make sure Shay was in the house. "Okay, Kayla."

She sat up and ran a hand through her hair. "Pretending to be asleep can actually make you sleepy," she pointed out.

Stopping at the stop sign I waited for Kayla to get out of the back and get into the front seat. She got in and I turned off of Shay's street.

"Call Mimi and ask her where she wants to be picked up," I told Kayla who nodded and pulled her phone from her pocket.

I waited for Kayla to talk on the phone and soon found out that we had to get Mimi from her parents' restaurant.

"I think I know what we have to do," I said to Kayla as we made our way there.

"I think I do too . . . and it has to start tomorrow at lunch."

~~~~~

"I'm so glad you guys are coming," Shay said linking her arm with mine. "Gabe said he'll save you guys a seat."

I nodded, my stomach doing a gazillion flips.

There was a little voice in the back of my head that kept repeating the same things over and over again.

This isn't going to go well. Don't go through with it. It isn't going to work.

Stupid stuff like that and it was seriously annoying me.

I know, I shouldn't be doing this. It's terribly wrong and somebody's going to get hurt in the end. But  then again, I still think he brought this upon himself. He's been playing games with me so why can't I have a little fun with him?

Walking down the hall, coming away from the cafeteria, was Mimi. She caught my eye, giving me a discreet knowing look as we passed each other in the hall. Yep, I'm definitely going through with this.