Chapter 9: Joshs POV

"What I don't know wouldn't hurt me
If I could lose my memory
I think maybe I'd be fine
If I just lost my mind
I wouldn't have to replace you
I could just erase you
And I wouldn't have to know how much I need ya"
- Josh Abbot Band

My phone vibrated causing me to jump subtly. Ashtyn still couched in my arms. Obviously it wasn't her calling. Matt? Mike? Ian? I slipped it out and sat in silence.

Amanda.

Ashtyn looked up and her face sunk. "Answer" she said softly, still resting on me.

"Hello?" My heart began to race.

"Josh?"

"Yes?"

"I'm sorry."

"Amanda I'm with-"

"I'm pregnant." She cut me off.

Pregnant? As in a baby? As in mine? As in pregnant with my baby?

"It's yours." She confirmed.

Ashtyn pushed herself off of me and left the room. "I'll call you right back." I hung up and raced after her. "Ashtyn!"

"No." She shouted.

"Ashtyn please. I swear I'm not leaving you."

"Bull fucking shit!" She screamed, causing her boss to look back at us.

"Is everything okay?" He asked.

"No!" She screamed and shoved past me and into the hall.

"Ashtyn!"

"Leave me alone Josh. If you come back here I am calling the cops and filing for harassment!"

The halls went silent as all eyes turned to me. I quickly darted out of the building and to my car.

She just needs to calm down. I told myself. She's as shocked as I am and holy shit I'm not ready to be a daddy. Fuck. Fucking hell. I am not fucking prepared for this shit. Not now.

I'd come back. I'd let this blow over and I'd come back. I drove around until I found a hotel to cry myself to sleep in.

Five days later I drove back to her school and made my way down the hall again. Everything seemed much more lively than it had been. And I hoped Ashtyn was the same. Still, if she wasn't then I would leave. I turned the corner and saw her manager.

"Is Ashtyn in right now?"

Silence came from him and the other two workers. He looked up from his computer and pushed up his glasses. "Josh, was it?"

"Yeah? Look if she's still upset I'll just leave-"

"Come back here with me Josh." He lead me back to the room where Ashtyn had been filing when I came to see her. "Take a seat." He gestured to the chair as he sat in the one across from me.

"If I'm not wanted I'll leave, I was just making sure Ashtyn was okay."

Silence. "Go home."

"Is she okay?"

"Ashtyn isn't with us anymore Josh."

"Well where does she work now?" I don't know why she would quit here.

"No." He rubbed the bridge of his nose. "Ashtyn is dead."