Shucked

Thomas threw his sheets off him and jumped out of bed. Finally he had something to fill his curiosity. He looked over to Minho's bed and noticed he wasn't there.

Thomas walked out of his shelter in search for Minho but couldn't spot him, he saw Brenda and she waved him over.

"Harriet came around to tell me about the little 'mission' today, are you going too?" She asked flipped a knife in her hand.

"Yeah, I wouldn't really call it a mission though." Thomas replied watching cautiously as Brenda twirled the knife faster.

She noticed that Thomas was uncomfortable and stopped. "What would you call it then?"

"I don't know, I guess it doesn't matter. Do you know when we're leaving?"

"Yeah around mid-day. Just a quick trip there and back. It shouldn't take too long, right?" Brenda asked. Thomas noticed a trace of concern in her voice.

"Of course, nothing too challenging." He smiled and Brenda nodded in reply. "Have you seen Minho around anywhere? He wasn't in the shelter."

Brenda thought for a second. "Yes. I saw him walking..... That way." She said pointing in the direction of the forest. "Yeah, that way." She reassured herself. "He seemed pretty pissed off if you ask me, don't know what's up his ass today."

Thomas thanked Brenda and headed in the direction she'd given him. He hoped Minho wasn't pissed off with him, not that he'd given him any reason to be.

***

Thomas found Minho sitting on a low hanging tree branch a couple hundred metres into the forest. He didn't say anything to Thomas when he saw him. Thomas climbed up and sat next to him on the branch. There was an awkward silence before He spoke up.

"What're you doing out here?" Thomas asked simply.

Minho opened his mouth to speak but then hesitated. He tried again. "I don't think we should take that stuff." He said picking a piece of bark of the tree.

"Why not?" Thomas asked.

"Because we have everything we need here, and we don't know what's out there."

"That's why we're checking it out, if we know what's out there then we'll be more prepared."

"Okay." Minho gave up, not wanting to argue. Thomas knew he didn't believe him.

"Are you.... Scared." Thomas asked as Minho started to walk away.

Minho whipped around and scowled at him. "No." He retaliated. "I'm not scared of anything." He folded his arms across his chest.

Thomas jumped down from the tree and walked past Minho. "I don't know," He said "You look pretty scared to me." He threw his hands in the air.

***

Brenda handed Thomas a backpack full of equipment. "What's this for?" He asked looking through the pack.

Brenda shrugged "Harriet said to get some supplies in case anything happens."

Minho took a sharp breath and Brenda scrunched her eyebrows at him. Man, He really did not want to go.

"Nothing's going to happen." Thomas exclaimed giving the bag back.

"Just take it incase, who knows what's going to happen." Brenda held the bag out and Minho took it instead.