Chapter 11: A Spoonful of Sugar

11.1.15

I hope you like the new cover. I wasn't satisfied with the old one, no matter how much I played around with it.

~*~

Chapter 11 – A Spoonful of Sugar

"So, from now on, not everyone goes to meet a character, small groups only," Kota emphasizes. "If it happens that we all want to meet a character, we all will, we'll just go in two or three groups instead, rather than all at once. Got it?" he finishes his little speech. He must have been thinking about it in that wonderfully calculating head of his since we got in line for Goofy.

Everyone agrees and gives their affirmations of understanding, and then Nathan, Kota and I head to Donald's line, while the others wait for us off to the side.

We are only in line for five minutes before Donald has to leave. I'm a little disappointed, but I knew this could happen. I firmly believe though, that I'll have another chance to see him—he's a regularly seen character after all. The three of us go back to the others and explain what happened, and a few of them give me apologies, but I don't think it's all that big of a deal and I'm not upset, and tell them as much.

I look around the circle for the last of the three characters, and I spot her. "Can I just go see Mary Poppins? She's still visiting!" I ask hopefully.

"Absolutely!" Kota says. "That's why we're here, aren't we?" he jokes. I just nod eagerly.

"Okay, let's go!" I demand, and grab Nathan and Kota's hands again, and drag them away from the group, much to the humor of all my boys.

This line is a little longer than Goofy's, so I take the time to chat excitedly with Nathan and Kota while also taking as many pictures as I possibly can—the buildings, the people, decorations, Nathan, Kota, me, myself, and I. Kota and Nathan each took a turn with my camera, so that I would get a picture with each of them. Nathan has me on his back for his, and Kota stands behind me with his arms around me. Then Nathan decides to use his height advantage to play keep away with my camera while trying to take more pictures of me. He thinks it's hilarious. Me? Not so much.

"Nathan, give it back!" I jump to try to reach his out-stretched arm. "Ugh, please?! Kota!" I try for help for the hundredth time. He just laughs.

I'm suddenly terrified that because Nathan is focused on me not getting it, that he's not paying enough attention to how he's holding my new toy. "Nathan! You're going to drop it!" I screech.

He laughs. "No I'm not, don't worry so mu—" and I watch in horror as the camera falls from his hand. It's almost like slow motion; Nathan tries his best to catch it, juggling it a couple times, but no such luck. I squeeze my eyes shut waiting for the inevitable impact and shatter. But I don't hear it.

Wait, what? I carefully open one eye, keeping the other one firmly closed. Maybe it'll be less heartbreaking if I do it slowly. I look down to where the camera's projected landing was. Instead I see an out-stretched hand, carefully cradling my precious camera.

I follow the hand up the arm, which is attached to a large man. A man who is probably just as, if not more, intimidating than my Silas or North. Attached to his other hand is an adorable girl, about six years old, dressed up in a Cinderella costume.

"I suggest you listen to the lady, next time," the man says in a low warning voice. It's very intimidating, I'm just glad it wasn't directed at me. He turns to Kota. "You look like a sensible young man,"—he's got Kota pegged—"why didn't you stop him?" The man has a point.

"I, uh—it's just, um, I-I don't know, sir," Kota stutters. "We're sorry, sir. Won't happen again," Kota affirms with a sharp nod.

Nathan is still standing there, shuffling his feet nervously. The man looks at him. "And you?"