Leather Kisses. 23

As soon as we got home, Dean and I followed my father into his study.

"What exactly happened, Dean?" My father asked, as he lowered himself into his large leather chair.

Dean paused, looked at me briefly, then sighed. "Blake has a new girlfriend, but he warned us that he hasn't forgotten about Riley."

My father nodded. "I see. Is this what caused the fight?"

"No sir. Blake also damaged by bike," Dean shook his head with disgrace. "I knew I shouldn't have started the fight, but I couldn't help it. Something came over me."

"Did he fight back?"

I scoffed. "Of course he fought back."

My father ignored my comment and turned to Dean. "What happened after?"

Dean clenched his jaw. "Well, we both were dragged into the principal's office. He gave us both warnings and two weeks of detention."

My father shifted uncomfortably in his seat. "Well you know what this means . . ." We both shook our head. "Dean, now that you are involved and the intervention with Blake has been recorded on your school transcript, if you are asked to be put on the stand, you have to go and speak against him," my father explained with a very momentous tone. "Anything in writing that belongs to the state can be used in the court room."

Dean and I both exchanged puzzled looks.

"What's wrong with that?" Dean asked.

My father grumbled, and flipped through one of his law books. "Well, considering your criminal record, it could actually hurt our case and put you into trouble. It all depends on how the judge and jury takes it."

"So it would harm our case more than it would help?" I shrilled.

My father slowly nodded his head. "Unfortunately, yes."

Dean raised his dark eyebrows hopefully. "But I can't do any damage if I'm not called up, right?"

"Correct. But the chances of that happening are slim. I'm sure Blake's father will hire the best lawyer around. These guys mean business, and they know what they're doing and what they're looking for. You can bet that they'll be on their top game."

"Sir, I'll do whatever it takes," Dean replied with a noble manner.

The wrinkles at the corner of my father's lips formed, as he cracked a warm, but hesitant smile. "Thank you, Dean. You must, under all circumstances, stay out of trouble. Especially anything involved with Blake. We can't risk this case taking an alternative turn."

"I completely understand, Mr. Jennings."

"Be prepared, both of you," my father sternly warned. "Everything is about to change. It'll only be a few more weeks until we're in the courtroom. We must all be prepared. Make this time we have count."

I leaned against the dusty bookcase, and crossed my arms. Too much had been happening too soon. It felt like just yesterday I was still with Blake, waking up every morning and fearing the day ahead of me. That was in the past now. A new era had struck - a new life, a new boyfriend, and a new me.

"Mr. Jennings, I hate to change the subject, but there's something I need to ask you," Dean said to my father.

"We're just about done, anyway," my father replied, tugging on the lapels of his jacket. "Sit down you two. What's on your mind?"

Dean awkwardly glanced over at me. He raised his eyebrows a few times, indicating that this was important. "Actually, I wanted to speak to you privately, sir."